Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

UCI: Not just the university in your backyard

+LOCAL+LEARNING%3A+UCI+provides+Irvine+residents+with+an+education+full+of+resources+and+experiences+closely+available+to+them.
Madeleine Pham
LOCAL LEARNING: UCI provides Irvine residents with an education full of resources and experiences closely available to them.

As the season of giving pairs with the season of University of California applications, seniors have finally gotten past the feared Nov. 30 deadline, and many students are now looking into prospective schools. Good news is that Northwood students have access to one of the best UCs right in their backyard: University of California, Irvine.

The proximity to home may be a concern for many Northwood students, since many view college as an opportunity to live more independently. But as college tuition gets more expensive, it could be a wise option for students to remain close to home. Other than being situated in one of the safest cities in America, the familiarity and growing industries around the city make for a university with abundant opportunities and a relaxing environment. 

“Many of my friends from other universities always complained about the cutthroat environment where students are constantly competing with each other,” UCI alumni Andrew Yam said. “However, Irvine has a very laid-back environment that allows students to focus on things outside of the classroom.”

UCI was established in 1965, right alongside the urban development of Irvine from the Irvine Ranch to the city we know today. UCI immediately made headlines as the eighth UC campus to open its doors. With President Lyndon B. Johnson attending the dedication ceremony and the university opening new programs like Creative Writing M.F.A. (which today has three Pulitzer Prize winning-alumnis), Social Ecology and Teacher Education, UCI developed at a rapid pace.

Irvine has a very laid-back environment that allows students to focus on things outside of the classroom.

— UCI alumni Andrew Yam

“I would argue that UCI is one of the most well-equipped universities because of land,” Yam said. “If you take UCLA, for example, they’re essentially land locked, whereas UCI has a lot of room to expand. To my point, UCI is building a state-of-the-art hospital right on the border of Irvine and Newport Beach, which is something that is tough for landlocked universities to do since there isn’t any space to expand.”

The rapid growth of UCI has attracted many students across the world. UCI boasts a large international student population, meaning that students will get the opportunity to interact with peers from all over the world. Additionally, many athletes may find it inspiring that they will train in the same gym as the late Kobe Bryant, who often visited the campus’ bookstore, gym and training facilities. Film lovers may also find it amusing that one of the UCI student housing areas is Middle-earth themed, allowing them to live out their “Lord of the Rings” fantasies. 

While some Irvine students might think staying in Irvine would be monotonous or boring, studying at UCI is vastly different from studying in high school as students get a true sense of the benefits of staying in such an innovative as well as diverse city.

“Before college, I really wanted to get out of the Irvine bubble, but when I was conducting research projects with UCI, I started to find exploring and connecting with different parts of Orange County really interesting,” UCI alumni Tyler Wong said. “The location of UCI attracts students from all across the world to attend since Irvine is a really up-and-coming city.