Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Friend groups can change… and that’s okay

Elva Tang
THE MAGIC OF FRIENDSHIP: New companions allow for personal growth in high school.

According to a certain pony princess and her group of friends, friendship is magic. But can the “magic” fade away? While you may enter Northwood with the friends you have had since elementary school, you might find yourself hanging out with new people months later. If that possibility scares you, it’s okay; the magic of friendship will not be lost. In fact, expanding your horizons and making connections with new people can improve your relationships with peers and enhance your overall high school experience.

High school is a great opportunity to surround yourself with people who can make you feel included and valued. Whether this means maintaining friendships with years of history behind them or exploring new communities on campus is up to you. Finding a sense of belonging is crucial to make the most of the next four years.

“Changing friends has made me a better person,” sophomore Kamron Jamali said. “It’s definitely made me enjoy high school more and I look forward to coming to school. It’s overall a better experience knowing I have someone to sit with at lunch who understands me.”

While high school allows students to connect with others, it is also a crucial time for self discovery. Remaining true to yourself and your interests is essential, as priorities and interests uniquely shape each student’s identity.

“If teens change to conform with their peers, they end up falling into the trap of putting on an act,” licensed pediatrician Ran D. Anbar said in an article for Psychology Today. “By conforming to a group, teens delay defining their identity.”

As one defines their identity and dives into their interests, their relationships with their community may change. Although frightening, it is important to understand that this is a natural process; adapting to change and appreciating both past and future friendships allows one to mature as they cultivate their social skills by interacting with more people.

Although changing friend groups can be a helpful and defining experience, not all relationships have to break down. As you continue to understand the person you want to become, friendships can change, and people can grow together. Defining your community on campus through your interests often means leaving room elsewhere to share nostalgic memories and cultivate meaningful relationships with friends, even if your paths don’t align perfectly.

“About half the people I’m close with now I knew in elementary and middle school, and having that history definitely helps to maintain friendships,” junior Julie Heninger said. “Having a mix of friends helps to balance out having that home base and history with pursuing your own passions.”

Although changes can be overwhelming, it’s important for you to know that there will always be a community to turn to at Northwood. 

Whether it be fellow freshmen, upperclassmen in sports, leaders in clubs or link crew leaders, you can always fall back on the strong support system at Northwood to carry you through the drastic shift. Your teachers and peers are here for you, so don’t be shy to take a seat at a new table or ask a teacher to stay in their classroom for lunch; Northwood is here to help you make memories throughout the process.

Regardless of your friendship status, every student should step outside of their comfort zone and be open to meeting new people. High school gives students a great opportunity to nurture new bonds and network within various communities, so it’s important that students don’t hold themselves back by refusing change. It might seem tough at first, but the benefits of stepping outside your comfort zone and meeting new people will truly be a life changing experience. For incoming T-wolves, they can rest easy knowing that Northwood’s diverse community is here to support them.