Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Majestic Met Gala theme ideas

Elva Tang
TERRIFIC THEMES: The Met Gala will never fail to amaze audiences with outfits in accordance to these themes.

Here’s what you need to know: Monday. May. Met Gala. The highly anticipated fashion fundraising gala has eyes all over it—from every pop culture publication to stan Twitter gurus—and the annual theme is one of the most anticipated announcements to come from the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. 

However, the themes can sometimes be more abstract than Picasso’s artwork or the face of your best friend’s newest fling. This year’s theme of “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion” evokes no clear stylistic directive except for the Disney princess’ pink dress. Last year, Doja Cat showed up dressed as a bedazzled “Cats” protagonist and proceeded to do nothing but meow in every red carpet interview, and you’ll never guess what the theme was: “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty.” 

It’s no surprise that some attendees have had to take a more interpretive approach with their attire. Here are what Met Gala themes would look like if they actually constituted styling motives and inspirations.

“Sleeping Beauties: Five More Minutes”

A proposal in one of the Met’s meeting rooms that got rejected for being too clear and easy to understand, this spin on the 2024 theme ensures that the guests of this year’s Met Gala will arrive in clear coordination with each other; you could round up the guests, take one look at them and understand that this was a themed event instead of a thrift store grab bag after the destination bachelorette party of the century. 

Instead of trying to interpret whatever the passage of time has to do with fashion, attendees simply need to roll out of bed and onto the press wall in order to stay true to the theme. The more extravagant celebs may choose to strap a bed made of cardboard onto their backs, while some may opt for the classic spring-semester-senior pajama pants. 

“Camp: One with Nature”

This theme homages 2019’s famously entertaining theme of “Camp: Notes on Fashion,” in which attendees who interpreted it correctly dressed in hot pink, outrageously huge ball gowns, and attendees who didn’t in a tan tuxedo. However, the confusion is understandable: the term “camp,” meaning audacious, over-the-top and ironically attractive due to its obnoxiousness, can’t be expected to be understood by those who aren’t familiar with pop culture or queer-derived terms. 

“Camp: One with Nature” leaves no room for confusion. Expect celebrities to show up decked out in REI hiking gear and The North Face rain jackets, maybe with mosquito nets or folded-up tents strapped to their backs. Although the Met Gala is notorious for having at least one attendee three-quarters naked, no one will be showing more than three square inches of skin for this theme, due to the health risks it poses, such as with poison ivy… or whatever people run across while hiking.

“In America: The Common Man”

When the 2021 theme of “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion” was announced, many were confused as to how this theme was to be interpreted while also maintaining political correctness in the face of a polarized country. While many chose to make social commentary with their getups, such as Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes’ “eat the rich” dress, this revised theme removes the opportunity for controversy. The thing that both the left and the right can agree on is the state of the common man in America today; it’s a fact that young women are hoarding reusable water bottles. 

Kim Kardashian may show up in a pair of Lululemon leggings, university merchandise and Nike Air Force Ones while holding a tote bag and accessorized Stanley Cup to represent the modern female college student.