Creative Communities: A look at Northwood’s VAPA clubs

Ashley Wang
LUNCHTIME MELODIES: Junior Chen Yang and senior Leyna Doan practice the alto part for “Bare Necessities” at Acapella Club.

From grand milestones to simple connections with peers in the classroom, the fleeting moments of high school will be a memory to look back on fondly. 

A great way to form meaningful connections is through Northwood’s various clubs. For the students who value community, creativity and self-expression, here are just a few visual and performing arts clubs provided at Northwood.

Knitworks Club:

Knitworks club is for students who know how to knit or are interested in learning. Through biweekly Monday meetings, students have the opportunity to meet peers and earn volunteer hours for creating knitted works for local shelters and hospitals.

“My favorite part has to be participating in our in-person events,” club president junior Saya Ryu said. “Last year, our club participated in a fair where we sold our knitted works to donate the profit to women’s shelters, and it was such a surreal experience.”

The club spreads warmth through its plentiful donations, positive energy and individuality.

“If you’re looking for a community that encourages you to foster your creativity and offers volunteer opportunities, consider dropping by Knit-Work’s meetings,” Ryu said. “We are always happy to welcome new members with open arms.”

Acapella Club:

For anyone interested in vocal music, Acapella club is a great place to sing with other students and to try your hand (or your voice) at singing a form of music performed solely by the voice, with no background instruments or tracks.

“Acapella club is a great way to experience choral music without the academic stresses of a musical class,” club secretary sophomore Anh Vo said. “Though many of our members are involved in music, you do not need to have any musical experience to join.”

The club rehearses during Friday lunches as an ensemble. They also perform at many of Northwood’s events, such as school vocal concerts.

“The unity in Acapella club is my favorite aspect,” Vo said. “The casual setting allows people to relax during rehearsals and non-members to spectate the music freely. Everybody is just there to support each other and vibe to the music.”

Dance Extensions Club:

For aspiring dancers, Dance Extensions club is open to students interested in exploring diverse dance styles.

The club bonds through workshops and shows on campus, and is open to all students, regardless of affiliation with the dance program.

“Dancing really allows you to express yourself in creative ways,” club president junior Sophia Yang said. “A lot of people think they don’t know how to dance or they’re going to embarrass themselves, but there’s really no wrong way to dance.”

The club usually holds workshops on Wednesday mornings before school in the dance room, focusing on specific techniques and moves like turns or leaps.

“Honestly, the Dance Extensions show has been my favorite part,” Yang said. “It’s different from the other shows because our club takes more control in organizing. It’s our biggest show with everybody in the dance program as well as anybody who wants to perform. It really feels like one big community where everyone is super supportive.”