Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Modernizing Northwood Literature

The re-emerging popularity of “Clueless,” a modern retelling of Jane Austen’s “Emma,” and “10 Things I Hate About You,” an adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew,” can only mean one thing: a desire for modernized classics. Toss aside the boring old books you’re reading in your English classes and run to your nearest Barnes & Noble for the next big hits in Northwood-approved literature.

[THO] modernizing northwood lit (1)
“What’s Wrong With My Weird Millionaire Neighbor?”

After finally moving into his first apartment, a gorgeous high-rise in the heart of New York City, thanks to the help of his cousin Daisy Buchanan, Nick Carraway can’t wait to explore what the Big Apple has to offer. Unfortunately, he can’t seem to shake off the man that seems to be following him everywhere: in the subway, at the grocery store and even to his apartment… but the weirdo following him is his NEIGHBOR? As they spend more time together, Nick can’t help but wonder if all rich people are strange. This comedy slice-of-life will leave you pondering: will Nick achieve his own dreams as his unlikely friendship with his green-obsessed neighbor begins to bloom?

“Total Witch”

Lies, scandals and near-death encounters just for a man are the telltale signs of a proper teenage drama… or a witch hunt. While all Abigail wants to do is split up her ex-boyfriend John Proctor from his new fling, Elizabeth, rumors are flying, and Abigail is at risk of becoming a complete social outcast. Her best friend Betty cannot fathom being bullied, but Abigail and Tituba know how to put on a show. As scandal after scandal rocks Salem High School, she wonders if her fake Instagram page crying wolf will really be able to bring her and John back together. Maybe Abigail really is a witch.

[THO] modernizing northwood lit (2)
[THO] modernizing northwood lit (3)
“My Monster Boyfriend”

Victoria Frankenstein is sick and tired of her family asking if she has a boyfriend yet. In order to get prying relatives off her back, she does the rational thing and digs up body parts to DIY a (fake) boyfriend of her own. He’s the perfect boyfriend: charming, eloquent, tall, dark and… well, not so handsome. Although Victoria is determined to prove to her family that she truly loves the creature, all they see is a monster, and refuse to acknowledge the relationship between them. Will the creature be able to win over Victoria’s family? And will the relationship remain fake, or will it grow into something more?

“Reincarnating as the Tragic Princess That’s Destined To Die!”

What if you, a tired student sick of studying Shakespeare, suddenly woke up in one of his most famous tragedies? Waking up at the funeral of King and Prince Hamlet, Princess Hamlet, a character who doesn’t exist in the original play, must battle King Claudius in a war of wits in order to uncover the truth and reclaim her rightful place on the throne. With the help of her dear friend Ophelia, Princess Hamlet fights with words and her sword as she struggles to survive the story she knows ends in the tragic deaths of her and Ophelia’s entire families. Ready to sacrifice whatever it takes, Princess Hamlet is prepared to overcome destiny.

[THO] modernizing northwood lit (4)