A T-wolf record year

Andrew Le
SPEEDY SUCCESS: Senior Dheer Patel practices his baton hand-off before lining up for his race at Northwood’s Track Senior Night.

Throughout the school year, Northwood athletes pushed themselves to new heights in their athletic pursuits. Their commitment to excellence led to record-breaking wins for a number of teams.

Track and field has had a historic season, with senior Dheer Patel breaking the 100, 200 and 400-meter time records after breaking the 4×100 and 4×400 meters sprint school records last year.

Patel attributes his success to his constant dedication and passion for the sport. No matter the set, he strives to improve himself.

“Usually you can’t stand after practices, but that’s the norm that you have to get used to,” Patel said. “You just got to keep going and know that it’s all part of the process and that, in the end, it will all work out.”

In the winter, girls water polo also broke school records, leading them to the CIF finals for the first time.

Senior Yoshi Elseifi broke the single-season record for goals scored with 193, adding on to her wide range of accomplishments including 312 career goals, 228 career steals, 80 single-season exclusions drawn and 128 career exclusions drawn. Elseifi’s impressive record has put her at number 3 for all-time CIF Southern Section.

Another key player on the team is junior Tiara Schechinger who set a record by achieving 105 assists, the highest in a single season.

Lastly, the boys basketball team has scored the most points in school history thanks to their leading senior players.

Senior Aidan Arnold ranks sixth in all-time steals with 123, while senior Zaid Yunis is sixth in career points, with 1,203 scored. Senior Ryan Abaye is number one in various statistics, being first in steals and assists with 227 and 433 respectively. He has the number 10 spot for most rebounds with 338.

“Obviously, practice is not the same as a game environment, but the purpose of it is to emulate that type of environment,” Abaye said.

These impressive achievements allowed the boys basketball team to continue to CIF quarter-finals, the farthest boys basketball has gone in school history.