Marching together for P.E. credits

Aya Takase-Songui
WASHED AWAY: The winter guard captivates their audience with their performance of “Car Wash.”

Students can explore a variety of activities aside from the Coed P.E. course and sports. From joining the marching band and performing with the color guard to taking physical education electives, students have the opportunity to step outside of their comfort zones and create lifelong memories while fulfilling the 20 P.E. credit requirement for high school graduation.

“I’ve been in the marching band since my freshman year, and I loved it,” senior Jiseok Ryu said. “It’s a good opportunity to make new friends, explore art and earn P.E. credits.”

The Northwood marching band performs at football games, some school functions and tournaments. To participate, students must be enrolled in at least one of the instrumental performance ensemble classes, either band or orchestra, although no prior experience is necessary. Most rehearsals take place before school during zero period, which starts at 7:30 a.m.

All students receive five physical education credits after successfully completing this course, which takes place from the beginning of the school year until early November. Freshmen are still required to enroll in a Coed P.E. class during both semesters if they are not participating in a sport or another P.E. elective.

The color guard also performs at football games with the marching band. However, students in the color guard can continue performing at competitions and other functions during the second quarter and the spring semester. Freshmen who do both semesters of color guard are still required to enroll in the Coed P.E. course. Each semester, they receive five P.E. credits.

“Initially, I just joined the color guard for P.E. credit, but then I really liked it, so I decided to stay in it after the football season ended,” freshman Shaalini Krishnan said. “My favorite part about the program is the community aspect because all of the people there are really nice.”

Those interested in joining the marching band and color guard are required to attend Northwood’s annual marching band camp, which will take place on Aug. 8, 9 and 12-15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information about next year’s camp, visit timbmusic.org.

Sophomores, juniors and seniors who are not in a sport, marching band or the color guard but completed the Coed P.E. course during their freshman year can fulfill their P.E. credit requirement by opting for semester-long P.E. electives: P.E. Basketball, P.E. Racquet Sports, Dance 2 and above, Fitness & Strength, Weight Training and Yoga. These electives are offered on a rotating basis and are worth five credits each. To learn more, visit northwoodhigh.iusd.org/academics/program-studies.