Favorite foods for fall season

Ashley Wang
FALL-TASTIC FOOD: Nutritional services staff member Marylu Villalobos supplies nourishing snacks at break with a warm smile.

One cannot walk into the welcoming embrace of the cafeteria at lunch and not see them: Northwood’s cafeteria workers are truly the backbone of ensuring students are energized throughout the day. The Northwood Howler interviewed three members of this invaluable team—cafeteria supervisor Martha Rookard and cafeteria staff members Ashika Thomas and Ana Aguilar—to get their take on the best fall foods.

The Howler: What is your favorite fall food?

Ana Aguilar: Pozole Tamales. It’s a Mexican soup. You share it.

TH: Why would you say you like that one the most?

AA: I love the flavor, and it’s also good for the cold weather. It’s similar to Vietnamese Pho, in a way.

Martha Rookard: Well, I’m Mexican, but I am married to an American, so I have two traditions here. I really like turkey in the fall, along with Tamales, which is great because it’s warm and you want that in the fall.

TH: Is there any special way that you like to make those dishes?

MR: Yeah, especially with the turkey. We get special recipes from my in-laws, which is great for our kids to follow tradition. Same with the Tamales, we make all kinds of them: beef, pork and vegetarian. We also make it all from scratch.

The Howler: What is your go-to food in the fall?

Ashika Thomas: I would have to say chili or soup. It’s getting colder, so I like to have something warm, like soup.

TH: Are there any specific ones that come to mind?

AT: I like chicken noodle soup. Sometimes, I get it from Sprouts; they have really good ones there. Oh, for the chilis, I make them at home. With all the beans, vegetables and the meat.