How to spice up your cafeteria food

Madeleine Pham
A-MAIZE-ING TIPS YOU AUTUMN KNOW: Enhancing cafeteria food for the fall is quite simple.

Fall brings with many delights: the return of the classic pumpkin spice latte, the inevitable APUSH DBQ prompts and those strange but ever-present seasonal ailments. To match our seasonal palettes, how can we incorporate the parts of fall that we all cherish into the diverse offerings of the Northwood cafeteria?

Here are four fall-centric add-ins perfect for accompanying the array of options offered at the cafeteria. Whatever your taste, we’ve got you covered.

Fall-themed toppings to compliment any cafeteria pizza

The night before school, carefully package your favorite fall ingredients into a container of your choice. We suggest chopped thyme, balsamic glaze or hot honey if you want to add some spice to your food. At school, sprinkle or drizzle these ingredients onto a cheese pizza for maximum autumnal results.

Cafeteria pizza is a classic, but with these toppings, you can be sure you will be the envy of other pizza lovers.

Cinnamon apple granola for your yogurt parfaits

Honestly, what screams “fall” more than cinnamon’s quintessential woody scent? Your cafeteria yogurt parfait is sure to give off the sought-after taste of fall better than the Starbucks fall collection with this granola addition.

Gather two cups of oats, one cup of dried apples, one cup of chopped walnuts, two tablespoons of ground cinnamon, some maple syrup and a pinch of nutmeg.

First, preheat your oven to 300°F. Then, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and spread it out on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, then let it cool. Package one tablespoon’s worth of granola to add to your next yogurt parfait and enjoy!

A splash of the autumn harvest for your salad

To help the cafeteria salad embody the fall spirit, prepare diced apples, feta cheese crumbles and toasted pecans.

Bring these additional ingredients in a mini ice box to keep them fresh and add them to the cafeteria salad of your choice. For the best results, mix well in order to get a consistent flavor. If done right, this should give your salad a subtle accent of fall sweetness to your salad.

Trader Joe’s-themed fall pasta (available for a limited time)

While pasta isn’t always available in the cafeteria, when it is, it serves as a perfect meal on a cold autumn day.

To customize the pasta, visit Trader Joe’s, the quintessential marketplace for all your organic foods. Purchase their crispy crunchy champignon mushroom snacks, herbs de provence (for a concoction of fall’s best scents and flavors from marjoram to basil) and pesto.

Package accordingly the night before so that at school, you can sprinkle the spices and mushrooms for some crunch and drizzle pesto onto your pasta.