Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Crisis to CARE: California’s bold shift from punishment to treatment

Rikkie Gunawan
TAKING THE FIRST STEP: The new CARE Court system is just the beginning for positive changes by helping those who need it.

The idea of courtrooms brings to mind images of gray, daunting buildings where lives are unalterably changed, not a place where you find care and treatment. California’s new CARE Court system is the unlikely institution headlining the state’s efforts to address the consequences of mental health issues, an innovative method that helps tackle the unmet and widespread demand for support with psychological challenges amongst Californians.

Established by the Community Assistance, Recovery and Empowerment Act, this new system would provide those suffering from severe mental health issues a state-funded support system with counseling, medical treatment and housing.

The new system is a long-overdue response to the ongoing mental health crisis in prisons that focuses on prevention and rehabilitation rather than punitive punishment, ensuring those in need face help rather than abandonment in the underfunded prison system.

“CARE Court means new hope for thousands of Californians with untreated mental health and substance abuse issues,” Governor Gavin Newsom said in a statement announcing the beginnings of the implementation process.

CARE Court means new hope for thousands of Californians with untreated mental health and substance abuse issues”

— California Governor Gavin Newsom

This comes at a time where Americans’ mental health is in sharp decline. According to the World Health Organization, the world experienced a 25% increase in reported anxiety and depression in 2022. This surge is especially pronounced in young people, demonstrated by a nearly 60% rise in suicide rates in 2018 in comparison to 2007: numbers that have only gotten worse since then. This, combined with a failing patchwork of mental healthcare systems, has left patients in need without care.

That is where California’s new CARE court system comes in. The civil court process, funded by millions of dollars from the state, provides the opportunity for family, county and community-based social services to petition those in need to receive mandatory treatment plans managed by county mental health departments.  

As with any major reforms, the program is far from uncontroversial: Multiple disability and civil rights advocacy groups have unsuccessfully sued the state for allegedly violating the due process rights of Californians by mandating participation for those found in need. 

Many of these concerns stem from a fundamental mischaracterization of the program. CARE court’s primary purpose is not to suspend any rights, but rather to ensure that those who are a danger to themselves or others due to untreated mental health conditions receive the help they need, free of charge. The government has a responsibility to guarantee the safety of its citizens, and the CARE court, while far from perfect, will ensure that those in crisis will get the help they need. 

Of course, the CARE court system cannot be the end of reforms in the area of mental health treatments. Elected officials must work to reduce the necessity of the CARE court system by investing in stable and widely-available mental health care systems, ensuring all citizens have access to secure housing and committing to improving conditions within our criminal justice system overall. 

We must also ensure accountability upon our elected officials and continue our advocacy efforts, whether it be in student groups, social media or even city council meetings. Only by sustained efforts will our government enact policies to address the critical issues facing our state.

For more information, visit https://www.cbsnews.com/video/california-care-court-60-minutes-video-2023-09-24.