Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Mother’s Day gift ideas

Sophia Ho
GIFTS OF GRATITUDE: Surprise Mom with sentimental surprises, expressing appreciation for the woman who means the world.

With Mother’s Day coming up on May 12, it’s time to start wrapping those gifts and writing that heartfelt card for your mom. Don’t have the perfect gift yet? Don’t sweat it. From handmade gifts to thoughtful gestures, this is your ultimate gift-giving cheat sheet for Mother’s Day. 

Candle making kit 

These kits are relatively easy to come by at Target and numerous other stores, complete with a variety of scents and sizes. With a range of prices available, this is the perfect way to get rid of that unpleasant smell that never seems to go away and prevent her from spending countless dollars on candles from Bath & Body Works. 

The best part? This gift is your own original creation, not something you just buy at the store. 

Memory quilt 

Memory quilts are a great way to preserve old memories and clothes. Often composed of old shirts and blankets, this is a sentimental way to reflect on your relationship with her. All you need is a sewing machine, steam iron, scissors and a variety of old fabric. After stitching it all together, you’ll be left with a fabulous blanket and a happy mother. 

Flower crown 

Sure, you could always go to Amazon or Walmart to buy her a flower crown. But sometimes, hand crafting one yourself is the best way to go. 

Making flower crowns is relatively simple. Taking about two and a half hours to make for beginners, all it takes is a piece of bent wire in the shape of a circle. After trimming the stems of the flowers, use the wire to attach flowers and extra leaves. If you’re using fresh flowers, make sure to place the flower crown in the refrigerator to prevent it from dying before Mother’s Day. 

Personalized recipe book 

Chances are you have a spare notebook lying around in your room that’s just waiting to make itself useful. Cleaning that mess inside your room would probably make her happy too. 

To make the perfect recipe book, write down her favorite recipes and snap scrumptious pictures to accompany them. Filled with her favorite recipes and foods, this book is a surefire way to remind your mom that you pay attention to her interests and the preparation that goes into preparing dinner every night. 

The cherry on top of this recipe book? Adding new recipes for her to try (hint hint: these grilled cheese recipes might just be the icing on the cake). 

Quality time

Do you know what all the items on this list have in common? They’re all items that you and your mom can use together for fun activities. 

Work together on sewing that memory quilt and reminiscing about old memories. Craft candles and flowers together as you talk about all the things you never knew about her. Use the recipe book to bake the greatest creations you’ve ever tasted and learn more about the art of baking together.

The best gift of all isn’t superficial or something you got just for the sake of gift-giving. It’s letting her know that she’s still important to you and that you enjoy spending time with her, no matter how busy life gets.