Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Hiking spots for spring

Andrew Le
HIKING TOWARDS HAPPINESS: Junior Jonathan Zhu finds fresh air and peace by exploring the San Joaquin Marsh Wildlife Sanctuary.

In these times of mental struggle, it’s important to welcome in the ides of March by celebrating our mental health beyond sleeping in and munching on snacks. 

With the blossoming of spring next Tuesday and “Take A Walk in the Park Day” on March 30, it’s time for students to channel their inner hiker spirit with the numerous trails and scenery that Irvine has to offer.

San Joaquin Marsh Wildlife Sanctuary:

While not your traditional hiking trail, San Joaquin Marsh Wildlife Sanctuary offers a free respite for birdwatchers and animal lovers, with 12 miles of walking trails overlooking wetlands and wildlife. Accompanied by waterfowl, shorebirds, raptors and over 200 species of birds, this is an easy trail for beginners, open from dusk to dawn.

Turtle Rock Trail

The Turtle Rock Trail is ranked medium in difficulty with views of the coastline and mountains. Although this trail is only 1.7 miles long, it offers scenic views of the horizon from Sunset Point for those interested in photography, hiking or dog-walking. 

Limestone Canyon Nature Preserve

This difficult hike has an elevation of 1,300 feet, taking hikers through diverse ecosystems like grasslands, oak woodlands, coastal sage scrubs and a watering hole for wildlife. 

Often referred to as a mini Grand Canyon due to its iconic geological feature called “the Sinks,” Limestone Canyon Nature Preserve features various plants and landscapes for geology and nature lovers. 

Bommer Canyon

Declared a natural landmark for being “one of the best examples of California’s natural heritage” in 2008 by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, this spot is an extremely difficult trail through ancient oak and sycamore trees. 

While hiking through endangered plant communities, the trail winds through native meadows and shady woodlands before ending at Crystal Cove State Beach, which provides even more hiking options for those seeking a new challenge.