Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Grand Opening: OluKai’s Night of Aloha

+NEW+TO+IRVINE%3A+Shoppers+take+a+look+at+the+new+OluKai+storefront+at+the+Irvine+Spectrum.
Aya Takase-Songui
NEW TO IRVINE: Shoppers take a look at the new OluKai storefront at the Irvine Spectrum.

Live music and lively chatter intertwine on the Irvine Spectrum’s Giant Wheel Lawn. Despite the nighttime rain and the chill of shaved ice, a festive aloha warmth reverberates around the huge tent as guests celebrate the grand opening of OluKai’s first mainland location.

Olukai is a California-based Hawaiian shoe brand featuring items such as sandals, slippers and sneakers, all inspired by native Hawaiian language and culture. At the grand opening on March 6, OluKai employees and Orange County residents gathered for a night of entertainment, delicious Hawaiian pūpūs and charitable sales. From free blowtorched pork belly and traditional hula to lei weaving and custom screen printing, guests enjoyed a plethora of experiences to honor the brand’s Hawaiian roots.

‘m hoping they got to experience the aloha that we like to share as a brand. Being a part of our grand opening, they’re now automatically going to feel that aloha as soon as they step into the building.

— store manager Harvey Shawn

“I’m hoping they got to experience the aloha that we like to share as a brand,” store manager Harvey Shawn said. “Being a part of our grand opening, they’re now automatically going to feel that aloha as soon as they step into the building.”

During the event, OluKai donated 20% of evening sale proceeds to support the Second Harvest Food Bank. The company continues to pursue their philanthropic visions through Ama OluKai Foundation, a nonprofit started by OluKai’s brand creators that supports beneficiaries from the Hawaiian islands such as the Hawaiian LifeGuard Association.

With the company headquarters located nearby, the opening of OluKai’s first mainland location presents new opportunities for home office teams as well as Irvine residents and the local community.

“Having a store in the Irvine spectrum enables us to showcase how we’re part of the community,” Shawn said. “We’re giving back tonight, but that’s something we intend to continue to do: to have events and give proceeds back to the city of Irvine.”

OluKai hopes to bring local residents a way to engage with Hawaiian culture while purchasing high quality shoes and accessories. Visit Olukai near the Giant Wheel Lawn between Vuori and Heat.

“What makes OluKai unique is the aloha,” Shawn said. “Our inspiration comes from the Hawaiian spirit.”