Northwood innovates to combat unbearable weather conditions (rain)

Sophia Ho
TAKE COVER: A Northwood student takes shelter from the rain under an AP Enviro sanctuary.

California has traded its signature happy sunshine for the hot new drama of never-ending rain. Recent downpours have forced Northwood students to challenge their survival skills and forge new methods to keep warm in the nearly freezing temperatures. Here are some of Northwood’s brightest creative innovative techniques for fighting Mother Earth’s emotional outbursts. 

Presi P. Tashion’s modular home constructed with AP textbooks

Tashion saw the dire need for better shelter to protect her fellow students from the harmful water droplets during break and lunch. Using only her revolutionary mind, a single cheese stick from the Cafeteria (for adhesion purposes) and a combination of AP Biology and AP Environmental Science textbooks to construct the building, Tashion created a structure large enough to protect the entirety of Irvine. As a decorative touch, Tashion chose to rip out Unit 4 pages from the AP Enviro textbook so students could admire the rain from the shelter and catch up on their incomplete readings.

April Showers phone pocket made raincoats

With most of our closets ill-equipped for this frigid weather, Showers discovered a new student market. Showers spent her nights crafting couture rain jackets equipped with innovative insulation from classroom phone pockets, previously thought to be exclusive to phones. 

On the launch day of the student-run small business, NoNeed4Sun, Shower sold out within the first 0.0005 seconds, leaving many unfortunate Northwood students to sink back into rain-inflicted seasonal depression. Shower told The Howler that she plans to release her next collection on March 17, featuring a green St. Patrick’s theme. Additional add-ons for each couture coat include “no phone” index cards or, if you’re lucky, one of English teacher Marina Alburger’s Disney villain name cards. 

Mack Book’s laptop generated warmth

Even with new shelter and insulation, students didn’t have a way to keep their hands warm, with many of them watching their fingers slowly turn to ice as they typed. Book, Northwood’s first freshman to commit to Nerd Institute of Technology, saw this issue as an opportunity to not only flex his AI-level coding skills but also as a way to gain capital means of paying for his NIT education. 

Using Khan Academy’s coding platform, Book coded a sequence that would ensure that devices were in a constant state of almost-explosion, which would generate enough heat to warm the frail fingers of his fellow students. The software is sold on the App Store for a mere $50,000.00.