A glimpse into Northwood’s student athletes’ National Letter of Intent signing

Ashley Wang
SIGNING OFF: Ava Giglio and Riley Bajorek sign their commitment letters to West Carolina University and Providence College, respectively.

Softball athletes, seniors Ava Giglio and Riley Bajorek, committed to Division 1 university softball teams at the National Letter of Intent Signing on Nov. 8. 

Giglio and Bajorek, who have both been playing softball for over a decade, committed to Western Carolina University and Providence College respectively. 

“It was very exciting because all the work I have put into this sport is finally paying off,” Giglio said. “Playing D1 softball has been my dream since I was a little girl, so it was definitely very very exciting for me.”

The NLI signing ceremony is a binding agreement between students and DI and DII sports colleges where students commit to the college for a year under athletics aid. Through the NLI program, many of Northwood’s talented and hard working students are able to solidify their future and gain recognition for their well-earned time and efforts. 

Giglio and Bajorek played on Northwood’s softball team for all four years, having earned many prestigious awards. In the 2023 season, Giglio was the defensive player of the year, having earned both all-Orange County and all-CIF honors, while Bajorek was named MVP of the season with Second Team All PCL  honors. 

Students who are interested in pursuing collegiate athletics through the NLI program should begin with creating an online recruiting profile and reaching out to coaches. If interested, the NLI program will send a letter via mail to students including the NLI itself and an offer for financial aid. Though the process itself is fairly straightforward, everybody has different experiences and perspectives on what works best for them. 

“Don’t compare yourself to others, as everyone will go through a different experience when trying to play in college,” Bajorek said.  “No part of recruiting is easy, but my best advice to help make this process better is how you present yourself as a person and a player.”