Beginning of a New Chapter: New Barnes & Noble location

Ashley Wang
BOOKS FILLED TO THE BRIM: Junior Levi Lane browses the wide variety of book selections in the new location of Barnes & Noble at the District with a modern and organized interior.

Browsing the endless sea of shelves in the newly opened Tustin District Barnes & Noble feels like navigating through mazes of unearthed knowledge, lost in the dusty aroma of paper.

From a myriad of history novels to a collection of every color and pattern of wrapping paper, the store is full of pleasant surprises hidden in every nook and cranny. The bookstore, located on Park Avenue of the District at Tustin Legacy, held its grand opening on Oct. 18 after closing its other locations at the Woodbridge Village Center and the Tustin Marketplace.

Taking the place of a furniture store, this Barnes & Noble has a unique twist to its interior design and offers products from Paper Source, a retail store specializing in crafting supplies and gift-related items.

“This is a prototype store,” Barnes & Noble faculty Julia P., who asked us not to use her last name, said. “We’re different from the other ones in the area, you might have noticed. The furniture links us to Paper Source; we’re now owned by the same company. So it’s a little more gifty and trendy, updated and modern than some of the older stores.”

Seasonal products from Paper Source have a portion of the store all to themselves, from cards for every occasion to small, quaint gifts and trinkets. The products on display offer a novelty to the store, changing with every season and holiday.

In addition to the store’s newly renovated look, the Barnes & Noble has been working towards hosting multiple book signing events, inviting local authors to come interact with readers. These events encourage and reward readers who choose to drive to physical bookstores and read physical books.

“Words have the power to tell a story and remind people of our common lived experiences or expose us to new ways of living,” author Letitia Clark said. “My favorite part of this author journey is connecting with people and finding delight in each other through written word.”

With schools and residences nearby, the store focuses on ensuring  the books that readers are looking for are always in stock, taking all target audiences into consideration.

“My shopping experience was good,” junior Kash Dastur said. “The staff had the book I needed and were extremely friendly.”

To experience the unique charm of this bookstore firsthand, visit 2857 Park Avenue Suite, Tustin between 10 a.m.-9 p.m. on Mondays through Saturdays, and 10 a.m.-8 p.m. on Sundays.

Learn about the store’s upcoming author events, discounts and book recommendations on their Instagram @bntustin.