Boats, ballet and bright lights: Holiday-themed events

COASTAL CELEBRATION: The El Navegante won Best Power Boat in the festive 2022 Newport Beach Boat Parade competition with holiday-themed boats, houses and offices. Photo provided by Bleu Cotton Photography

As the temperature drops and the days are shorter, the wintertime in Orange County greets a variety of heartwarming activities that embrace the essence of the season.

From outdoor snow activities and holiday light parades to seasonal performances and live music, here are some events to get into the winter spirit.

Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade

The Commodores Club of the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce will be hosting this year’s 115th annual parade once again.

Over 100 decorated boats make their way through the harbor to celebrate the upcoming Christmas holiday. The boats, along with homes and offices, can enter the competition to win different Sweepstakes awards: Best Overall or The Most Humorous.

The event will run from today to Dec. 17 and will start every evening at 6:30 p.m. For the opening show, however, there will be an arrangement of fireworks on the harbor preceding the start of the parade.

Make sure to visit the harbor as well as the neighboring community surrounding it to celebrate the annual parade and light festival while inviting the upcoming holiday season to the coastal community.

Winter Fest OC

The OC Fair & Event Center is hosting the Winter Fest OC until Jan. 3. The festive event is filled with amusement rides, seasonal treats and theatrical performances. The Ice Trail, a 150 foot long tubing course and a play area for other snow activities, is available for those who want to feel like they are in the snow.

The event is open to all ages with parking and entrance costing $12, and even has spirit days such as “Ugly Sweater Day” or “Military Day” to honor veterans attending the event.

Irvine Ballet Theatre’s “The Nutcracker”

Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s ballet adaptation of the children’s story has been cherished for over 130 years, with around 100,000 Americans watching the show each winter season. You can watch the production  from Dec. 8-17 at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa.

The performance is family-friendly and explores the youthfulness and adventures of young Clara as she welcomes the holiday season. Around 100 children, American Ballet company dancers and members of the Pacific Symphony are cast for the performance each year.

Tanaka Farms Hikari Festival of Lights

This Hikari Festival, meaning “shine” in Japanese, was first established three years ago during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.

What first started out as a small drive-thru event to uplift the spirits of the community has now blossomed into a Tanaka Farms seasonal festival to celebrate the upcoming winter months. Attendees can enjoy wagon rides around the farm to showcase the area decked out in holiday lights. The farm also opens its doors for visiting the resident barnyard animals while on tour of the grounds.

The Hikari Festival will run until Dec. 30, with entry tickets being $15-$25 for children and $25-$35 for adults including parking. The event will have food and refreshments on the grounds as well as live music on the weekends.