Behind the Band: The elements of Earth, Wind & Fire

TIMB
AN ENSEMBLE OF INTERTWINING ELEMENTS: The Northwood Marching Band is a force to be reckoned with as they holler in the stands.

Classic rock echoes throughout the stadium as dazzling costumes and instruments take the stage. The instantly recognizable opening brings parents and students alike to their feet as the Northwood marching band performs their long-awaited “Earth, Wind & Fire” show. 

Debuting six songs from the disco-funk 1970s band, the show features double the number of songs usually performed, including many of the band’s famous hit songs, such as the famous “September.” 

“There are so many more ‘Earth, Wind & Fire’ songs people haven’t been exposed to,” saxophone player junior Louis Gaigneux said. “It’s really exciting to engage with the different pieces, which all have an underlying funk and groove.”

Amidst the show’s progressive fusion style, audiences can expect an inspirational, moving ballad, in “Fantasy,” while the closing number. “Sing a Song” features an upbeat tempo and a pop style. With trending classics such as “In The Stone” and “Let’s Groove” woven in throughout the show, the audience can anticipate a perfect emotional roller coaster of fun and feels.

Northwood has become well-known for honoring renowned bands and musicians in their halftime show; Previous shows featured legends such as “Elton John,” “Queen” and “The Beatles.” According to director of bands Whitney Talvarides, this choice is intentional. 

“We like to pick a show that will be inspiring,” Tavlarides said. “We want the show to be fun for our performers, as well as the audience.”

The disco theme brings joy to musicians in performance and dance. The show will feature playful dancing in “Boogie Wonderland” as the entire band grooves to the beat. Color guards perform a disco dance that is easy for the audience to follow. “Conducting the show is amazing, feeling everyone’s excitement to express happiness in our music, ” drum major senior David Gima said. “The adrenaline rush and immense sense of pride I feel is my favorite part.”

Students can watch this incredible show at upcoming home games on Oct. 6 and Oct. 13, supporting both our athletes and musicians.