Matcha love for the quali-tea drinks and snacks at Junbi

Yuri Song
BREW-TEA-FUL AND TEA-LICIOUS: Junior Phoebe Chu studies in Junbi’s relaxing atmosphere while enjoying the Straight Up Matcha drink.

Stepping into Junbi feels like entering a tropical oasis, where the essence of ‘earthy’ appears not only in the decor but in the aroma of the rich, ceremonial-grade matcha. This is more than a cafe; it’s a place where laughter brews, zen and relaxation are whisked and study sessions can be as sweet as their specialty soft serve.

Junbi, a matcha specialty cafe, opened its Irvine location in the Culver Plaza just last month on Aug. 26. Just as its name implies, Junbi (“to prepare” in Japanese) specializes in preparing and serving a unique matcha blend, sourced straight from Uji, Japan.

“Every food and beverage place was down during the pandemic, so it took us three years to actually open this location because we didn’t have the real predictions for the future,” co-owner Khanh Mong said. “Preparing daringly is for the passions that outgrow all the fears, downs and everything.”

Junbi specializes in ceremonial-grade matcha, which is richer and earthier than the culinary-grade matcha you would typically find at other cafes. Customers order in line or at a digital kiosk and can customize drinks to their preference.

Their most popular drinks include the Madagascar Vanilla Matcha and the Milky Strawberry Matcha. Mong’s favorite drink, the Yuzu Dragon Fruit Matcha, is another favorite. The refreshing combo of smooth matcha blended with real dragon fruit puree creates the perfect balance of citrus and sweetness.

Matcha Vanilla Swirl soft serve (Aya Takase-Songui)

“The Madagascar Vanilla drink was my favorite,” junior Haley Jung said. “The matcha was extremely rich and authentic while the vanilla balanced out the bitterness.”

If their drinks are not your cup of tea, they also offer matcha and vanilla soft serve with various toppings such as red bean, matcha powder and fruit purees. They also serve salmon, mentaiko and tsukudani kelp rice balls, which were the perfect savory snack to compliment our drinks. They were warm and comforting, like the taste of a homemade meal, and their fillings were much more generous than the average grocery store onigiri.

Although the line can be long, the drinks and snacks are worth the wait. The pricing was also very reasonable given how large each drink was. Seating inside the cafe is limited, but there is plenty of outdoor seating just beside the shop. Guests can also use their free Wi-Fi, making this a perfect new place to sip and study.

“Junbi has great food, and I like the environment because it’s pretty and nice for studying,” junior Phoebe Chu said. “I look forward to coming back with my friends in the future.”

Don’t wait for oolong to stop by 15333 Culver Dr, Ste 360 anytime between 11 a.m.-9 p.m. to support this tea-riffic local matcha store.

Find Junbi at 15333 Culver Dr #360, Irvine, CA 92604