Banagas-Engelerdt is Northwood’s newest assistant principal

Ashley Wang
A FAMILIAR FACE: Assistant Principal Christina Banagas-Engelerdt settles into her new office.

English teacher Christina Banagas-Engelerdt was appointed assistant principal in September following the departure of Jennifer Ollila. 

The promotion led to a number of staff changes including a promotion of Brandon Emery to Dean and the return of education specialist Norma Figueroa and English teacher Phil Roh, one of the founding members of Northwood’s FORCE program. Despite the disruption this caused, Banagas-Engelerdt’s students remained supportive.

“As a student, a schedule change after everything has been solidified is just not a good feeling,” Banagas-Engelerdt said. “When I told all my classes that it was happening, their first reaction was to cheer for me.”

As assistant principal, Banagas-Engelerdt assumes responsibility for campus safety and security, campus supervisors, attendance and detentions. Assisted by Howler adviser and English teacher Marina Alburger, in her new role as Intervention Lead Teacher, Banagas-Engelerdt will continue to support students both academically and socially through a preventative framework focused on instruction and data. Some of Banagas-Engelerdt’s former students are excited to see this promotion even as they miss having her in a classroom setting.

“Mrs. Banagas-Engelerdt has been one of the most kind and impactful teachers at Northwood and I have witnessed firsthand her authentic care for students on campus,” senior Kristen Lew said. “Most importantly, I am so excited to see her grow her impact on a greater number of students in her new role.”

In the classroom formerly occupied by Banagas-Engelerdt, Roh has returned to Northwood after three years of teaching at Woodbridge High School. He has enjoyed seeing how his original vision for the FORCE program has developed during his time away. 

“There were various things that I tried during my time that Mrs. Banagas-Engelerdt fine-tuned,” Roh said. “That’s cool because I had a hand in making the course and someone else saw it, making you realize that, wow, that was a pretty good choice.”

The speed with which the vacant roles were filled was only possible because of the flexibility of everyone involved, including staff, administrators and students, according to Banagas-Engelerdt. 

“To be honest, Northwood is the only school where I would’ve made the change when I did,” said Banagas-Engelerdt. “It’s a really great school with great students and staff, so to be able to take on this role at a place that I love is amazing.”