Reflecting on a memorable high school career

Zarina Yunis, Editor-in-Chief

Grant Dickerson
PLAY SOME BALL: Three athletes enjoy a hot summer day outdoors.

Several Northwood athletes are gearing up for a new year of athletics, training for games, matches, meets and tournaments. From winning close games to jamming out on the bus rides to away games and tournaments, Northwood’s athletic programs provide a wide array of experiences and memories that leave a lasting impact on student athletes even long after their high school careers have ended. 

Senior Amanda Endres (Basketball):

ZY: What is your favorite part of your overall athletic experience thus far?

AE: My favorite part is the bonds that form within the team when we practice together. There is nothing more empowering than to work hard alongside your teammates and improve together.

ZY: What is your fondest memory?

AE: My fondest memory is the first day of summer camp my freshman year. It was our coach’s first year of coaching at Northwood. It was a fresh start for both of us and I remember us talking about what Northwood Girls Basketball would look like four years from now, and now it’s finally here.

ZY: What are your goals for this year?

AE: My goals this year are to learn how to better lead the team in such a way that would allow us to work together more, to find the specific role I need to fulfill on the team and perfect it, to make my performance in each game more dependable and consistent, and to maintain poise and composure during games in order to defeat my opponent mentally.

Junior Jacob Rice (Wrestling and Track):

JR: My favorite part would definitely have to be the social aspect of athletics. It’s a bit of a cliché, but I really enjoyed meeting many new people who shared the same interests and goals as me and were willing to work hard together to reach those goals. Being on a sports team is both humbling and gratifying for me, and the character building that athletics often entails really brings out the best in people. 

ZY: What is your fondest memory?

JR: Some of my fondest memories either come from the bus rides to and from meets or those late nights when a meet goes on much longer than it should have. The energy surrounding those moments I get to spend quality time with my team is quite therapeutic, and I consider them some of my fondest memories in general.

ZY: What are your goals for this year?

JR: I would say my goals for this year are pretty universal. I want to set new personal records, be a better athlete both physically and mentally, and be a good role model for my team.