#FEASTMODE: Race the cluck

Rita Lai, Accent Editor

Thanksgiving Day got off to an active and healthy start for runners participating in the Turkey Trot at Irvine Valley College on Nov. 25. With three different events available over two hours, from the early 7:30 a.m. 1K to the main 5K and to the kids’ Gobble Wobble, there was a race for everyone.
“I do it with my family every year,” junior Noah Outwater said. “My favorite part is staying with my family throughout the whole run.”
Whether participants were running for fitness goals or for family fun, they nonetheless were bustling with excitement in the crowded venue. The podiums for age division winners stood next to the stage where two pilgrims performed skits and boosted the cheer of onlookers with patriotic and festive songs.
“I already ran the 1K, but the kids are gonna do the Gobble Wobble,” race participant Steve Raganav said. “We registered late, just yesterday, and were still able to get the bibs and shirts. We’re hoping for this to become a family tradition.”
For the most part, runners seemed unfazed by the early hour, with even the elderly and young children enthusiastic to do their best.
“Number one! And yum pie,” 6-year-old Gobble Wobble runner Isabelle Raganav said.
Such a large and well-organized event would not have been possible without the volunteers. The night before the race, they unloaded vans for the tents and set the track layouts. On the day of the races, volunteers were busy checking in entrants, handing out bibs, awarding medals, providing water and most importantly, serving sweet slices of pumpkin pie at the end to exhausted runners.
“I’m here with a service organization called Circle K International,” IVC student and Inter-Club Representative Jaehoon Song said. “I’ve volunteered for similar events like the Halloween run last month. It’s a great opportunity to bond with others and meet new people.”
Towards the end of the event, the pilgrims began regaling the crowd with Christmas tunes as a reminder of IVC’s next community marathon event. Those who missed their chance with Turkey Trot may look forward to the morning of Dec. 12 for “Santa Claus for a Cause.”