Friends, family, 5k

Sreekar Kasturi

READY, SET, GO: 5k runners take off at the starting line.

Mihir Kulkarni, News Editor

The annual Timberwolf 5K was held on Feb. 8, bringing together Northwood students and families for an enjoyable morning of activities. The event included the race itself as well as a pancake breakfast followed by an awards ceremony.

Northwood Athletics was represented well at the event, with sophomore Jason Berry taking home 1st place among Northwood boys with a time of 17:17. Junior Audrey Landis came in 1st place with a time of 18:28 among the Northwood girls.

“I feel honored to be the first Northwood student to cross the finish line and proud to represent Northwood Track and Field,” Berry said.

The event serves primarily as a fundraiser for Northwood Athletics, and proceeds go directly to support athletes. The funds from the race help the school’s athletics teams afford necessities like equipment and uniforms, enhancing the athletic experience of all Northwood students who participate.

With racers from all around the Northwood area, the event provides a great venue and environment for young kids, teens, parents and even grandparents to enjoy a competitive yet relaxing morning together. Centered around a family-friendly relaxed atmosphere, it never fails to satisfy its participants.

“It’s really fun to see the whole community come together to support something that’s so important to all of us athletes at Northwood,” Landis said.

The brand new course provided a unique experience for those who ran or walked the 5K. The race began near the entrance to the school, with the drumline and Pep Squad ready to cheer the racers on. After the blast of the starting horn, runners circled a nearby hill and continued down Portola Pkwy. The course continued around the Northwood campus ending with a lap around the track to the finish line. Whether they were running hard or taking a stroll, racers appeared to enjoy themselves.

“The new course was nice because it had fewer hills, causing the race to feel a lot faster than the last time we raced,” sophomore Justin Lee said.

The event also offered several activities for those attending including a play area, sponsor tents and fruit stations. The pancake breakfast was provided by Northwood Culinary, served on the basketball courts where the awards ceremony was held. Volunteers were a crucial part of the event running smoothly, from helping organize logistics to handing out water throughout the race.

Due to the success of this year’s 5K, the Northwood athletics teams will be well prepared for the challenges they may face. To continue supporting Northwood athletics while having fun with members of the community, be ready to book your spot at the Timberwolf 5K next spring.