Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

TutorHigh: Shining high for Irvine one lesson at a time

Keyur Joshi
EDUCATIONAL EMPOWERMENT: Senior Harshil Verma tutors senior Burhan Lukmanjee after school.

In a world where educational opportunities are often tied to financial means, a high school-led nonprofit, TutorHigh, has turned the ordinary into the extraordinary by providing affordable, high-quality educational support amid Irvine’s rigorous academics.  

Led by Northwood seniors Aditya Aggarwal, Harshil Verma and Tejas Bharadwaj, TutorHigh is an educational nonprofit that aims to provide high-quality STEM tutoring for students while donating 75% of the proceeds to community organizations. What sets TutorHigh apart is its unwavering commitment to affordability without compromising on excellence. They ensure that their tutors possess the necessary skills to help students succeed.

We wanted to provide a more affordable option for students while also serving the community. Most of our earnings go towards schools, libraries or other education-related organizations.

— senior Harshil Verma

“We started TutorHigh because the prices of tutoring around Irvine are around $40 or $50, but we wanted to provide a more affordable option for students while also serving the community,” Verma said. “Since we are a nonprofit, most of our earnings go towards schools, libraries or other education-related organizations.”

Founded in October of 2022, TutorHigh focuses on one-on-one tutoring, allowing their students to gain a more personalized education as opposed to the traditional classroom setting. TutorHigh also provides additional study materials to ensure educational growth. Since its beginnings, the nonprofit has donated $1,800 to facilities and organizations like Heritage Park Library, CHOC Children and Dreams For Schools.

“I just really enjoy teaching. I really like helping people and it makes me very happy when they are able to understand and learn and grow,” Aggarwal said. “It’s also about the relationships I maintain with the students and their families and the bond I’m making in the community with people I’ve never known. One of my students even invited me to their birthday party.”

The next goal for TutorHigh is to reach a total of $2,000 in donations to various community organizations by the end of the year, a goal they are not too far from. To join TutorHigh as a tutor, contact the organization via Instagram, @tutor_high, and to book a class with TutorHigh, visit tutorhigh.org to learn more.