Behind the broken school toilets

MALFUNCTION+MADNESS%3A+School+administration+urges+students+to+care+for+restroom+amenities.+++
Isabella Torrales
MALFUNCTION MADNESS: School administration urges students to care for restroom amenities.

Students have reported malfunctioning toilets with leakages after administration re-opened the 900s and 1000s building bathrooms during breaks and lunch.

The malfunctions are believed to be the result of continued vandalism, according to Northwood principal Leslie Roach.

“Students are creating this malfunction, so it’s hard for us to figure out a solution right now without catching the students who are creating these issues,” Roach said. “However, we are aware of this issue, and we are trying to work with the custodial staff to find a solution.”

Many students have been concerned by the leakage of unknown liquids in the restroom. The malfunctions are due to an excess of toilet paper and trash clogging the toilet and water on the bathroom floor is caused by students breaking the pipes underneath the sinks, according to plant supervisor Ernie Medina.

“Some of the toilets in the boys bathrooms don’t really flush after anyone uses it, and some of the sink pipes are leaking, which is really gross to be around,” junior Ethan Jacob said. “It’s a big sanitary concern for me if sinks don’t work from the leaking pipes and people aren’t able to wash their hands after using the restroom.”

Toilet repair can be complex and expensive, costing on average $250 to $600 per unit, according to Forbes. In conjunction with the labor cost to replace and the time it would require, administration and custodial staff are urging students in the meantime to act with care towards the bathrooms.

Students need to respect and have courtesy for their own restrooms because there is always someone who has to clean after the mess.

— custodian Eric Vilchis

“Students need to respect and have courtesy for their own restrooms because there is always someone who has to clean after the mess,” custodian Eric Vilchis said.

Northwood custodial staff and administration are currently engaged in monthly meetings to give updates regarding malfunctioning toilets in bathrooms and work toward a solution.

“Malfunctioning toilets are among our top priorities to consider since it takes a lot of time and money to replace,” custodian Edgar Flores said. “However, due to the same reasons, we can’t afford to constantly replace these toilets, meaning that the power to change the bathrooms is in the hands of the students.”