IUSD Board Meeting: Crowd debate flag policy, focus on Pride Flag

Aya Takase-Songui
FREEDOM FOR FLAGS: IUSD Board discusses the future of flag policies in IUSD schools, specifically any flag that is not a California flag.

Irvine Unified School District’s board members unanimously expressed support for maintaining its open-to-public flag policy during a board meeting on Nov. 7, rejecting a citizen-proposed ban on all non-U.S. and California flags from being displayed in schools.

The proposed change drew significant attendance to the board meeting, as it represented a major departure from the current IUSD policy on flags, which does not prohibit the display of non-governmental flags such as the LGBTQ+ Pride flag.

“I think the policy that we have right now is important and is appropriate,” board member Paul Bokota said during the meeting. “I think the policy of inclusion and acceptance that we teach is a far more important policy.”

I think the policy of inclusion and acceptance that we teach is a far more important policy.

— IUSD board member Paul Bokota

Debates over similar policies have erupted in school districts nationwide, with a major aspect of most public commentary on the LGBTQ+ pride flag. IUSD students and staff members turned out en masse to speak on the proposed policy.

“I felt it was important as a former student and as a current IUSD teacher to be at the board meeting in support of LGBTQ+ students and staff members,” history teacher Zane Pang said. “I feel that in this political climate, showing support for these students and staff is necessary.”

Students present at the meeting say IUSD’s maintenance of the flag policy, as well as the public support for it, was encouraging.

“I was hopeful that the turnout would be good, and I was not disappointed,” Genders and Sexualities Alliance president senior Theo Krzeminski said. “I was touched to see so many teachers, students, parents and pastors speak up in support of IUSD’s queer students and staff.”