Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

Fast food worker minimum wages increase

Ashley Wang
CHEERY AT CHICK-FIL-A: Seniors Sahithi Allam and Cynthia Nakano work at Chick-Fil-A after school.

The minimum wage for most California fast-food workers was raised to $20 effective April 1, $4 above the current $16 minimum wage for workers in the state.

The increase in wages, which comes after the signing of Assembly Bill 1228, or the Fast Food Franchise Responsibility Act, now offers California fast food workers in large franchise chains of 60 or more locations the highest minimum pay in the industry nationwide. 

“[AB 1228 takes us] one step closer to fairer wages, safer and healthier working conditions and better training by giving hard working fast-food workers a stronger voice and seat at the table,”  Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement. 

The increase in wages is the culmination of Newsom’s ongoing efforts that began in 2022 with the establishment of a fast food council that could raise the minimum wage up to $22 per hour. However, due to industry groups pushing to repeal the law, the two parties eventually compromised on a $20 minimum wage and a fast food council with authority to set and raise wages.

Some students are welcoming the rise of the minimum wage as a necessary and overdue change.

“I work at Cava and I think that, especially because of inflation, the minimum wage increase will be really good to hopefully balance out income and outcome,” junior Levi Lane said. “It will definitely help me take care of expenses like gas as well as saving for college.”

However, some workers have raised concerns about the impact of the minimum wage increase on wages and prices.

“I’m conflicted because employee hours are going to be cut down to combat the additional expenses of higher pay,” junior Jayden Santos said. “At Chick-fil-A, where I work, food prices have already gone up.” 

The legislation also underwent further changes. Governor Newsom recently signed a new law creating new exemptions for some fast food locations, born out of what they say is the potential for the law to hinder workers’ efforts to negotiate better collective bargaining agreements. It remains to be seen what effects this bill, along with the wage hike, will have on the fast food industry and beyond.