Breaking News
The Student News Site of Northwood High School

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

The Northwood Howler

“Avatar: The Last Airbender”: A spellbinding journey through water, earth, fire and air

Abby Warnock
YIP YIP: The newest adaptation of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” has fans and Team Avatar soaring into a new chapter of wondrous enchantment.

In a blaze of glory and honor, “Avatar: The Last Airbender” has returned with an epic comeback, taking audiences back into childhood nostalgia. From legendary fight scenes to fantastical story-building, Netflix’s live-action adaptation of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” is a captivating masterpiece filled with adventure, magic and the never-ending loyalty of friendship. 

Following the 2005 cartoon storyline, Aang (Gordon Cormier), the current Avatar, awakens from an iceberg-induced coma and joins together with Katara (Kiawentiio Tarbell) and Sokka (Ian Ousley), seeking to restore balance to the world by mastering (or learning to “bend”) all four elements: water, earth, fire and air. Faced with this daunting quest, the gang travels through the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation and everything in between, becoming an unforgettable tale for ages to come.

Although the plot is similar to the cartoon, the writing remains unique by providing much-needed insight into the backstories of Avatar Kyoshi (Yvonne Chapman) and Avatar Kuruk (Meegwun Fairbrother). Establishing the individuality of each Avatar, the live-action excellently displays their different ideologies regarding how best to achieve peace, no matter how rocky or perilous that path may be. 

Unlike the original, the live action takes the liberty to deviate from the plot to enhance character development. Minor characters like Princess Yue (Amber Midthunder) are empowered by the new storyline, showcasing her ability to waterbend and enter the spirit world as a fox.

The writers magnificently create a sense of wonder by crafting heartwarming scenes such as the reunion between Aang and his mentor Gyatso (Lim Kay Siu) as well as the unity between Zuko (Dallas Liu) and Uncle Iroh (Paul Sun-Hyung Lee) after the death of Lu Ten. As a result, the live action can marvelously expand on the original lore, forging a unique story of power and sacrifice.

However, this remains at the cost of some quintessential parts of the original show. Sokka disappointingly lacks his infamous jokester personality and Appa sadly becomes no more than a means of transportation, ridding the audience of the inseparable bond between the main characters.

Many relationships and events are also unfortunately forgotten in the writers’ attempts to cram in several cameos from minor characters such as Teo (Lucian-River Chauhan), the bards in the Secret Tunnel and Wan Shi Tong (Randall Duk Kim), all of whom ultimately contribute nothing to the overall storyline. Consequently, many of the subplots involving these characters feel shallow, serving no purpose other than being a cute reference to the original show. 

On the other hand, the superb acting largely makes up for the plot’s shortcomings, with Cormier beautifully highlighting Aang’s carefree yet remorseful personality and desire to make things right after failing to protect the Air Nomads, who went extinct 100 years before Aang’s reawakening. Cormier marvelously illustrates Aang’s strong resolve and devotion to protect others through his distinct voice and portrayal of Aang’s will for justice.

Ousley and Tarbell certainly don’t pale in comparison either, perfectly showcasing Sokka’s insecurities and Katara’s confidence in her ability to defend herself and her friends. With vivid expressions and personalities, the two remarkably convey the unbreakable bond of siblinghood and the struggles that come along with it. 

Paired with the brilliant CGI work to feature their elemental powers as well, the whole show is flawlessly tied together, immersing fans of the original show within a stunning wonder of love and friendship. While not as detailed with personal touches to the characters’ powers like Azula’s (Elizabeth Yu) blue flames, the CGI still consistently creates realistic visual effects throughout the show. Like the animated version, the live-action CGI stays true to the original story line and marvelously matches the characters’ choreography, personalities and fighting styles. 

With iridescent flames and beautiful effects on the water, the TV show is splendidly brought to life, blossoming into a glorious world of light and hope. Rising to an epic and action-packed climax, the show ends with a suspenseful tease at future adventures and memorable tales to come. 

While different from the original show, Netflix’s “Avatar: The Last Airbender” has a one-of-a-kind voice and story, serving as more than just a message of peace and war. It’s a prominent reminder that like Aang, balance goes beyond mastering the four elements. It’s about self-discovery and finding out what kind of Avatar you truly are.