Fictional couples to learn from

Isabella Torrales
10 OUT OF 10: A student cheers on the stellar five-star couples with their green flag qualities.

You know what time of year it is: infatuated lovers can be found around each corner of campus, veiled in the shadows of stairwells and lingering by benches outside the media center. Couple videos populate your feed and the aisles at Pavilions turn pink. As you begin to reflect on your relationship status this romantic season (Single? Taken? Situationship?), consider these four fictional but flourishing relationships that can set the standards for us all.

Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase, “Percy Jackson”

The classic duo brought together by shared trauma, Percy and Annabeth are perfect for each other. Despite their differences, their mutual respect builds an unbreakable bond that withstands the test of both time and Tartarus. Get someone who will take a poisoned knife and a deep dive into hell for you, and someone who will let you use their face as a stepping stone while rock climbing. Although, preferably, the majority of your relationship won’t develop with a slew of Greek gods praying on your downfall.

Alex Claremont-Diaz and Prince Henry, “Red, White & Royal Blue”

One is the son of the U.S. president, another the heir to the British throne. Though they may not have known it from the start, this couple was a match that was meant to be all along. Forced to feign a close relationship for diplomatic reasons, Alex and Henry quickly developed real feelings for each other and their fiery relationship forced them to confront their inner identities. Despite the fear of scrutiny from the public eye, they actively pursued each other and found ways to make their situation work. Henry may have fallen first, but Alex fell harder (who wouldn’t for gorgeous British royalty?). 

Elle Woods and Emmett Richmond, “Legally Blonde”

After Warner, the bar to be an ideal partner was on the ground. Emmett, in all his butt-headed glory, took the bar and snapped it. Not only did he support Elle in every aspect of her legal journey without being too overbearing, he never lost faith in her or her gaydar. He matches her energy perfectly, and they help each other grow in the healthiest ways possible. In the end, they both become successful because, contrary to popular belief, both parties can fulfill their dreams while still maintaining a functioning relationship.

Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy, “Pride and Prejudice”

Elizabeth, with her quick wit and headstrong nature, and Darcy, with his reserved and standoffish persona, are the trailblazers for the iconic enemies to lovers trope. Their contrasting personalities may have been a significant deterrent at first, but by the end of the novel they underwent massive character development and became the best versions of themselves for each other: she overcame her prejudice, and he overcame his pride.