New green recycling bins appear around The Oak

Repurposing+with+a+Purpose%3A+The+green+recycling+cans+seen+around+The+Oak+are+easily+distinguishable+from+regular+trash+cans.+
Elva Tang
Repurposing with a Purpose: The green recycling cans seen around The Oak are easily distinguishable from regular trash cans.

Green recycling cans were recently introduced to Northwood as part of IUSD and the Honors Interdisciplinary Climate Exploration class’s latest recycling initiative.

Placed by The Oak, the green recycling cans feature signs illustrating examples of recyclable materials. Students are encouraged to be more mindful about picking up trash and food left behind. 

“Students need to be more active when throwing their trash away,” plant manager Ernesto Medina said. “Putting it in the right container would help out tremendously with not just the environment but our school as well.”

As part of Senate Bill 1383, California mandated that schools and local educational agencies provide on-site utilities for food waste faciliation beginning Jan. 1. 

ICE, taught by science teachers Nicole Midani and Nelly Tsai, seeks to limit the amount of food waste that students produce on school campus through a collaborative effort with IUSD director of sustainability Jennifer Razo. 

According to Tsai, food waste attracts opossums, squirrels and bees onto campus, which could pose dangers for students. Food waste is also one of the main sources of greenhouse gas emissions such as methane, which pollutes the air and makes it difficult for students to breathe.

With the implementation of the new bins, Midani and Tsai hope that students will develop an emotional connection towards fighting for a more sustainable future and educating themselves on the impact of global warming and food waste. 

However, some students still show concern that the recycling cans will not encourage a more eco-conscious mindset due to the lack of awareness and accessibility.

“I think the idea of limiting food waste and recycling is a really great idea,” sophomore Bonnie Chen said. “But I don’t think other students notice these efforts a lot since the nearest recycling bin is by The Oak, and there are several trash cans that are closer to them and more noticeable.”

Although there are currently no concrete plans to add more recycling bins to campus until the program becomes functional, Razo hopes for more eco-friendly efforts at IUSD, including electric-powered grounds equipment and implementing electric buses.

In the meantime, students interested in contributing to Northwood’s recycling program or joining ICE can contact Midani or Tsai for more information.

“There are a lot of really innovative and extraordinary ways that students can make an impact: from policy all the way down to what they do with their pizza crusts, from individual action to collective action,” Midani said. “It’s really all about us realizing that Northwood as a school is #bettertogether.”