Air quality improves around Irvine following the Tustin Hangar Fire

Ashley Wang
REMAINS: The now demolished Tustin hangar has only a few columns left standing.

Ambient air quality in Irvine following the Tustin Hangar Fire was deemed to be safe by city officials in a statement released on Jan. 8.

The Northwood Howler previously covered Tustin Unified School District schools were shut down while campuses were checked for asbestos. Results of tests conducted at parks around the city found that background levels of asbestos in the air and the ground were well below the recommended criteria set by the Environmental Protection Agency following continued concerns that asbestos released by the fire could prove harmful to human health. 

“While several heavy metals were originally detected in mobile monitoring of the smoke plume, additional metal testing revealed these returned to normal background levels,” Orange County public health officer Regina Chinso-Kwong said in a letter to the City of Tustin. “Testing indoor spaces is not necessary, thanks to reassuring test results from nearby facilities.”

For once, it feels like I’m breathing fresh air.

— JV lacrosse defender freshman Elijah Perez

The Northwood Howler previously covered Tustin Unified School District schools were shut down while campuses were checked for asbestos, but in response to the improved air quality, all Tustin schools returned to in-person learning on Dec. 20, 2023. Additionally, all public parks and nearby public roadways were deemed safe by certified asbestos consultants. Most residences around the fire were also inspected and cleared by local authorities.

IUSD continues to closely monitor the situation and collaborate with local officials for future updates. The normalization of asbestos levels around Orange County has helped mitigate fears that schools like Northwood may be contaminated with harmful substances. 

“I have been struggling to breathe because of the horrible air quality,” JV lacrosse defender freshman Elijah Perez said. “But now, I can breathe normally as a lacrosse player outside. For once, it feels like I’m breathing fresh air.”

The district has continued its usage of HEPA filters and air quality sensors to ensure the safety of students and staff across their campuses. Although students are encouraged to wear masks or other protective equipment if it makes them more comfortable to do so, many choose not to as the air quality continues to improve.

“I’m glad the air quality has been getting safer because now when I go to school, I don’t have to worry about the asbestos or masks,” junior Andrew Le said.

The air quality is likely to remain normal across Orange County, as the Tustin Hangar doors finally completed their demolitions last month.