Well, well, Well(ness Center)

Nawal Abdul, Staff Writer

In recent years, Northwood has taken several steps to reduce student stress levels; one initiative is add- ing The Well, a safe space on cam- pus where students can learn how to effectively cope with stress. The Counseling Department and Mental Health Specialist Megan Keller spent the month of August creating The Well, which was commissioned by Principal Leslie Roach.

“We based this room on sev- eral researched activities proven to decrease stress and increase mind- fulness so that students can learn better coping strategies if they have a safe environment,” Keller said. “The room is a quiet space where cell phones must be checked in, and stu- dents will guide themselves through the therapeutic stations to help them- selves destress.”

Mindfulness is a key theme throughout all the stations. Students can practice mindfulness and medita- tion by painting, art, gratitude activi- ties and sandtray, in addition to using calming applications on a laptop.

“This space is meant to teach students how to effectively cope with stress independently,” Keller said.

Each station provides students with tips to take home, like full body breathing exercises, so students can practice healthy coping strategies.

“I think The Well is a fantastic idea, especially since we’re all in that space in our lives where we’re learn- ing to be independent,” senior Nicole Steele said. “It’s nice to know that we have people on campus willing to help us in that aspect of our lives.”

Students can access The Well in room 926 during breaks, lunch and tutorials; however, they will need a counselor’s permission to enter dur- ing class hours.