Crazy course coincidences can change everything

Noelle Escalante, A&E Editor

I first received the email the day before sophomore year.

“Dear Noelle,
The Creative Writing class unfortunately does not have enough sign-ups to continue for the 2021-22 school year. However, we have placed you in the Beginning Journalism class for the time being. Please let us know if you have any questions.”

Since the pandemic stunted my belief in a better future, I ultimately gave up on wanting to enjoy the rest of my high school career. I began to merely see high school as a gateway into the next years of my life, treating every elective and class as a credit, rather than memories, friendships and shared experiences. This was also a perspective that was taken on by my family members, with a majority of the sentences in my house starting or ending with, “When Noelle graduates.” I always felt like a burden or something that was weighing down the wings of my family, and wanted to graduate as soon as possible. Until I got the email.

I never intended on pursuing journalistic endeavors throughout my time in high school, or any creative endeavors of that sort. However, this email had my gears turning. I mean, how random of an email to receive the day before your second year of high school starts. I was never good with change, but something inside of me clicked that day, and I decided to take the class.

Although I’ve gone through ups and downs with my writing, being a part of The Howler for the past three years has truly changed my perspective throughout my time at Northwood. I got to experience completely new sides of the school and Irvine in general, such as sports culture, local news and amazing opportunities Northwood students were receiving —things that would’ve gone way beyond my head if I had not taken the class.

Through this new profound experience, The Howler truly allowed me to grow in my different creative expressions, become more academically disciplined and inform myself on current events. I became more involved with the choral program, always being excited to perform at every concert, became more timely with deadlines and assignments (for the most part) and expanded my love for research. Never did I think that a Beginning Journalism class would completely change each aspect of my academic career.

Not only did my academics enhance, but my social skills expanded exponentially. Freshman Noelle was definitely coined with key moments of awkwardness, but The Howler truly allowed me to step out of my comfort zone, such as approaching seniors for the first time in class or interviewing a random person on campus on their opinions of Asian representation in movies.

Unlike my situation, you may not receive an email where your classes magically switch, or an opportunity that comes flying into your hands, but you may have to make a tough decision that could change the rest of your life.

But no matter what wacky situation comes your way, learn to embrace change. Change allows us to confront the uncomfortable, and can grow us in the best ways possible. Northwood, thank you for shaping me in ways I could have never imagined. I’ll forever be grateful for the opportunities that were given to me. Smell ya later.