Northwood’s Coffeehouse brews up a blooming night of performances

Aryav

IN BLOOM: Junior Riya Roy closes the show out with an emotional rendition of “Man in the Mirror.”

Sohum Sarwate, Copy Editor

In the midst of twinkling lights, colorful decorations and a cool breeze, the Northwood Performing Arts Courtyard was transformed into a dazzling, calm environment for Northwood Theatre’s annual Coffeehouse on April 22, spotlighting student performances of instrumental, vocal and spoken word pieces.

The event, which featured a total of 11 selections, included various food booths for attendees to enjoy while they watched the performances. It was hosted by seniors Ze Xi Isaac Lee and Kathryn Sun, who provided entertaining introductions and transitions for each performer. 

“Northwood’s Coffeehouse was created with the sole purpose of providing a small end-of-the-year production where performers could show their love of performing and people could try something they have never tried before,” Sun said. “Here in the comfort of our courtyard, we strive to encourage students to step out of their comfort zone and onto a stage: a place where students can bloom without the pressure of a large-scale production, a place to call home.”

Fittingly, the theme for this year was “In Bloom,” and each performer creatively incorporated this theme into their performances, such as junior Riya Roy who sang a rendition of “Man in the Mirror” in dedication to her late grandfather.

“I auditioned for Coffeehouse initially because I watched the show last year and was amazed by all of the raw performances the drama program put on,” Roy said. “I really wanted to perform a song close to me that had a message that would resonate with the audience and the theme.”

The event also featured three spoken word poems where performers opened up about their emotions and personal experiences, including “Living Can Be So Beautiful,” written and performed by junior Macee Joyce.

“I really thought that the show taught me a lot about myself and it made me open up about things that I have kept inside,” Joyce said. “I did a spoken word because it really made me feel as though I got a burden off my chest about my past.”

Although this is one of the last events that the theater program puts on, it was a strong end to the year, providing students a medium to get creative and delve deep into their own individual journeys through art.

“I hope you can take something home from all of our performances about change,” Sun said. “Just remember that you can always have a home, a solid ground—to rely on, to grow, to thrive and to bloom.”