Welcoming spring with band and orchestra Festival Concerts

Aya Takase-Songui

DEEPER MEANINGS: Wind Symphony flutist seniors Christy Han (left) and Badrish Ananth (right) perform “Requiem for the Unarmed.”

Ellen J. Wang, Staff Writer

A cacophony of sound whirled through the theater as black-suited musicians swayed passionately on stage, letting the music flow through their mahogany and golden instruments. The audience sat mesmerized in the dark, breaking out in thunderous applause after each song as student musicians rose with glowing faces.

Northwood bands and orchestras performed at the annual spring Festival Concerts on Feb. 28 and March 1 respectively. The concert featured performances from Concert Band and Orchestra, Symphonic Band and Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony, Philharmonic Orchestra and String Orchestra—showcasing the talent and dedication of Northwood’s music community.

Orchestras evoked emotion through a range of diverse pieces from Symphonic Orchestra’s calming lullaby “April” to the warm autumn tunes of Concert Orchestra’s “Of Glorious Plumage.” Symphonic Band’s “Where Eagles Soar” gave the audience a moving experience through the synergy of different musical parts, from suspenseful drumming and heroic percussion to a sweet oboe melody.

“For us, the biggest challenge is making sure that we’re all playing together and listening to each other,” Wind Ensemble tenor saxophone player senior Dongjun Hahm said. “We have to sound like one cohesive sound instead of individual instruments.”

Mozart’s “Overture to The Marriage of Figaro” was performed by the Philharmonic Orchestra and Chamber Winds, where refined wind tunes intertwined harmoniously with sounds reminiscent of light floating footsteps played by the strings. Tchaikovsky’s “Serenade for String Orchestra” was the grand finale of the orchestra concert, awing the audience with swelling, tapering tunes and fast high notes that were passed between sections like a baton.

“The Tchaikovsky was a very emotional performance and I love the piece,” Philharmonic Orchestra violin player sophomore Lucas Nguyen said. “Rehearsal A is very moving, very fast but it’s also very romantic at the same time.”

Students had been practicing intensively for months, and hoped to evoke celebration of hard work in overcoming challenges. To receive feedback and improve further, Northwood invited violinist Iman Khosrowpour and Northwood alumnus conductor Jotaro Nakano to adjudicate the concerts.

“In music, there are so many aspects of sound, rhythm, pitch, all the phrasing and musical interpretation,” Khosrowpour said. “Music education are so essential to growth as a person and the development of the mind, to create a collaborative atmosphere. Everything was wonderful and well-executed tonight.”

Northwood music director Ben Case has a passion for incorporating pieces from underrepresented composers and exposing students to a wide range of compositions.

The Wind Symphony finale was “Requiem for the Unarmed” by composer Kevin Day, which commemorated and honored African American victims of police brutality and mistreatment such as Breonna Taylor and George Floyd.

“Wind Symphony’s last song was very moving,” junior Mia Lee said. “I do really resonate with the message. I hope we can have more songs that have that kind of deeper meaning and social impact.”

The IUSD Wind Ensemble Festival, Orchestra Festival and Jazz Festival are approaching this month in which ensembles from multiple IUSD schools will receive feedback from multiple adjudicators.

Then, the year will close with Jazz at the Oak on May 12 which will include performances from all levels of jazz ensembles.

Later that month, the annual Pops Concerts, featuring unique performances from all levels of choir, bands and orchestra along with a Pops Gala will take place at the Northwood theatre.

Be sure to stay updated about Northwood’s upcoming music experiences by making a visit to timbmusic.org.