Into the Howler-Verse with your new EiCs

Mitul Kalra

YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD EDITORS: Seniors Sarika Rau and Michael Shi swing in with plenty of ideas to improve The Howler.

High school really does fly by. This age-old cliché could not resonate more than it does now as we enter our senior year here at Northwood. And reflecting back upon the past three years, one thing is clear: a lot changes in high school—your friendships, interests and even personalities are likely to shift and develop. This might sound obvious, but if you really think about the myriad decisions you will make and the pathways that stem from each, it can feel exciting yet overwhelming at the same time. Let’s take a step back and break it all down.

A few weeks ago, the two of us spent a couple of hours watching “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” for the first time in a last-ditch attempt to avoid doing our (unfinished!) summer homework. Yes, we know what you’re thinking: for a couple of students whose jobs are to stay up-to-date with current news and trends, we’re shockingly late to the party. Better late than never, right? Watching “Spider-Verse” helped us come to the realization that this upcoming year, like the many facets of the multiverse, holds vast and extensive possibilities. Regardless of whether you’re an incoming freshman or a ready-to-become-a-freshman-again senior, there will always be chances to change your story at Northwood by discovering a new hobby or making a new friend (fun fact: we’ve known each other for five years but only recently became close friends). Even if it seems as though it might be too late, take some (calculated) risks and explore—you will never know what lies behind that portal of opportunity. 

This applies to you most of all, incoming Timberpups! As your older peers are narrowing down their interests and envisioning the careers they’ll pursue for the rest of their lives (policeman? supervillain? graffiti artist?), the incredible wealth of knowledge and resources that Northwood has to offer are yours for the taking. This isn’t to say that sophomores, juniors and seniors can’t benefit from the same opportunities—in fact, if you only take one thing away from this, we want it to be that the only way to make the most of your meager four years of high school is by exploring various clubs and classes, embracing the changes that these experiences bring you and staying informed about activities at Northwood.

And guess what? Picking up this paper is one step towards just that. The remainder of your four years will swing by. And as you weave your way through the twists and turns of high school, The Howler will continue to be here, keeping you informed and well equipped to have the experiences, make the memories and create the change that makes your time at Northwood truly special.