Cozy autumnal movies to manifest the fall vibes

Sophia Ho

SAVE IT FOR THE RAIN: The movie-watching ambience is best paired with trickling rain in the background.

Noelle Escalante, A&E Editor

Californians across the south are entering the weird inter-season: the colors of the leaves change as we continue to reach 80 degree weather, even as the days are shorter and the nights become colder.
To further emulate the fall weather all Californians want, here are some movies to set the vibes for the penultimate pumpkin season before the new year.

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” – directed by Wes Anderson

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” is a beautifully constructed claymation movie, with head voices being George Clooney, Bill Murray and Meryl Streep. The film follows a fox family, with the main character, Mr. Fox, tending to steal at any chance he gets. This film shows the true value of familial relationships and its importance in the home. Anderson’s claymation style differs from other directors, with the use of textures seen throughout the film, compared to clay. Along with the plot, the fall color palette allows for the movie to radiate fuzzy feelings, both figuratively and literally.

“Dead Poets Society” – directed by Peter Weir

“Dead Poets Society” is a tragically beautiful classic. A group of boys attend a preparatory school and encounter an English teacher named Mr. Keating, who has a unique style of teaching. With the motto of “seizing the day,” he teaches his students to not care about the pressures that are placed upon them by their parents, but rather to find the importance of living in the moment. The “dark academia” aesthetic of the movie and the colors correlating to fall, further adding to the developing freedom of the main characters.

“It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” – directed by Marielle Heller

Although a relatively new documentary, “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” tells of the life of Mr. Rogers, an American Television personality, best known for his series, “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.” The show differs from traditional children shows, with Mr. Rogers giving viable life lessons and treating children as adults, rather than in an immature fashion. An investigative reporter interviews Mr. Rogers on his moral compass, which ultimately changes the reporter’s life for the better. The calm nature of the film gives off the coziness and comfort of fall, while also showing the kind nature behind what it means to be a good neighbor.