Northwood, it’s been a great ride

Mihir Kulkarni, News Editor

I wasn’t supposed to be here.

Writing had always been something I enjoyed doing, but I never thought it would shape my high school experience in the way that it did. I didn’t expect to find myself on the staff of the school newspaper, but after a series of chance events, my journey with The Howler began, and I couldn’t be more grateful.

Full disclaimer: I would not be on The Howler if it wasn’t for my mom. When I wasn’t really sure which electives I wanted to take as a freshman, she was the one who pushed me to take Journalism. Although I was hesitant to listen at first, trying out something I was completely unfamiliar with pushed me out of my comfort zone and helped me make some of my closest friends. I guess mother does know best after all.

Although I’ve learned so much about writing and journalism on The Howler, I’ve learned plenty about myself as well. Before, I didn’t see myself as a very confident person, but being a leader on The Howler has made me more aware of how to manage a team. After plenty of practice, I’ve also mastered the art of estimating my layout dimensions without measuring anything whatsoever.

It feels weird to be graduating already; I feel like high school has gone by in a blur, especially because of the pandemic and hybrid learning. Now as a senior, I think it’s important to share what I’ve learned. I’m warning you, though, that my words of wisdom probably won’t be very wise at all.

My advice for anyone going through high school is to take risks. Whether it’s enrolling in a new elective or trying out for a sports team, getting out of your comfort zone and finding what you enjoy is what will help you make the most out of your high school experience. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first signed up for Journalism, but the risk I took helped me find a sense of family that I was always looking for throughout high school.

I’m thankful for all the support I’ve received throughout high school, and I’ll say goodbye to Northwood with memories I can cherish. It really has been a fun ride. And remember, if there’s always been that one thing you wanted to try, don’t hesitate. Go for it.