HowlerHow: 3 ways to make other people smile

WORTH+A+THOUSAND+WORDS%3A+Making+someone+smile+is+the+simplest+way+to+make+a+difference+in+someone%E2%80%99s+life.+

Anjana Narasimhan

WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS: Making someone smile is the simplest way to make a difference in someone’s life.

Ashley Lee, A&E Editor

After an exhausting day, smiling can make you lighthearted and even relieved about the rest of your troubles. But what better way to feel happier than seeing your loved ones brighten up because of you? If you’re willing to put a genuine effort into making a difference in someone’s life, take a moment to hear from Northwood’s students in honor of International Day of Happiness on March 20 instead of scrolling through yet another WikiHow page. 

Baking

“One of the most noticeable things I do to put a smile on someone’s face is to bake cookies. I do this a lot, actually, and it’s just my way of telling you how I appreciate you and thanking you for being part of my life.” — Cayla Bohrer (11)

Compliments

“I compliment people on the things I genuinely like about them, like how they never judge people about anything and always respond quickly to texts. I also like to notice changes people make to their appearance or personality because it gives them some recognition. I put in the effort for my friends because it was something I found warming when other people did it for me, and I want to share that happiness with the people I spend the most time with.” — Eric Huang (12)

Spreading Positivity

“I would usually say or do something funny and unusual that can help other people smile. Making others smile generally makes you feel happy and accomplished too, and it gives a sense of achieving a purpose in life. I try to make my family and friends smile every day but also sometimes send positivity around the community because it helps create more connections and trust for each other.” — Kevin Chu (10)

Checking-In 

“I don’t know if I can make people smile, but I try to make sure people are comfortable. If they seem somewhat excluded from the group, I try to make sure they’re included in all conversations. I try to ask them questions, how they spent the weekend, how their classes are. I’m an international student, so when I just moved here, it was very hard for me. I felt excluded in the first school I attended in the United States, so it’s important to me to help international students assimilate into a new culture. Asking how they’re doing or inviting them during lunch might help them a lot.” — Kristina Kardi (12)