Different types of love languages: “Amor-e” ways to show your amour

Rita Lai, Accent Editor

FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC: (left to right) Junior Vero, freshman Charlie and juniors Charlie and Niki are one of the many groups of friends just spending time together during tutorial, showing the less commercialized but still appreciated aspect of platonic love in relationships. (Ellie Chan and Nicole Curtis)

For some of us, a warm hug could mean more than “I care about you,” and for others, cooking a homemade meal brings greater joy than spending an evening at an upscale restaurant. We all show our love in a multitude of ways, but there’s often a particular love language that speaks most to your heart.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ Nicole Curtis AS SWEET AS PIE: Pie charts show how NHS students feel about different types of love.

Words of Affirmation:
Expressing your love through words doesn’t necessarily mean saying “I love you,” though that can be the most straightforward way. Take a few pointers from senior Liam Condy (left) and junior Matthew Lim (right) to find out some ways you can convey appreciation and uplift others.

Quality Time:
Undivided attention is the key defining factor between “quality” time and time spent together. There’s so many distractions around us that we may not even notice when we start to accidentally slip into a dismissive state. Frequently checking your phone’s notification or sighing in annoyance signals your disinterest. Planning an activity you’ll all enjoy will ensure everyone is having a good time, but it doesn’t have to be extravagant; any sort of time together is a way to bond.

Acts of Service:
Making a meal like breakfast in bed on Valentine’s Day is a popular trope, and for good reason. Even if the food ends up inedible and you have to go out instead, at least you tried your best. Other options can range from large chores like deep cleaning the carpet of the entire house, or a smaller task like decluttering their bag. It doesn’t have to be a big gesture either, as opening the door or holding their purchases is just as appreciated.

Giving Gifts:
Presents are commonly given for birthdays and holidays, but there’s more to Valentine’s Day than just roses and chocolates. Maybe there’s an item that they’ve mentioned over and over, or something that’s been in their online shopping cart for months. You can consider anything ranging from stickers of their favorite game characters to their go-to coffee order. It’s a show of commitment if you can remember and give a gift that corresponds to their interests. Their tastes may trend towards the pricey end, or they may appreciate homemade items like handwritten cards and origami hearts; it all depends.

Physical Touch:
Swing a loved one’s hand as you take a walk in the park or hold them under the table in secret intimacy. If they’re going through a rough time, a hand on their back or gentle embrace shows that they have your full support. Scientifically speaking, person-to-person contact releases oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin, which increase positive emotions and reduce stress. Even if science wasn’t speaking, it still makes quite a lot of sense that having someone by your side increases comfort, so even distanced alternatives like air high fives will do the trick.

There’s no right or wrong way to show your love; after all, it truly is the thought that counts.