Get ready, set, goal!

Lana Hwang, Accent Editor

There’s no better way to transition back to normalcy after an absolutely chaotic year than by setting achievable goals, creating definitive strategies to attain them and working step-by-step towards them. For more common goals, here are some tactics that you can hopefully put to good
use.

Dear Howler, I want to branch out in high school by going to more social events and making new friends, but I’m not sure where to start.

To socially branch out, get involved in clubs and electives, get to know the people in your classes and don’t be afraid to reach out to someone to become friends. It can be difficult to balance school work and extracurriculars with school events, so stay updated on upcoming school events by following @nhstwolves or downloading Integral, through which you can also view club meeting times, the weekly bulletin and class schedules. Plan ahead and complete projects or essays beforehand to peacefully enjoy your fun.

Dear Howler, I feel like I’m not retaining any information while studying for hours on end. How can I study more effectively?

If you’re having trouble managing your time or getting burnt out from long stretches of work time, try using the Pomodoro technique of working
for 25 minutes, taking a break for 5, repeating the cycle and taking a longer 15-30 minute break after 4 cycles. For more effective studying, space
out and review your subjects through active recall across multiple days to better remember the content. Try the SQ3R technique (survey, question, read, recite, review) for productively reading passages. Exercising before studying, studying for a few hours each day and eliminating distractions
will undoubtedly help you focus and retain information. The following Chrome extensions and websites can help you set limits on app usage and block distracting sites: Mindful Browsing, Focus Keeper, Freedom and Focus To-Do.

Dear Howler, with the neverending list of things I have to do, I feel like I’m always running out of time. How can I live a healthy life while balancing my schoolwork?

Taking care of your health should be at the very top of your priorities. Create worthwhile daily routines and portion your time to account for regular exercise and sleep. Not getting enough sleep is nowhere near the flex you think it is. Download a reminder app to help you follow your routine, such as Google Keep, Reminders, Todoist or Any.do. Aim for a balanced and healthy diet, avoiding junk food and fast food and veering towards fruits and vegetables. Find what strategies work best for you, and good luck to everyone trying their best to achieve their goals, no matter how trivial; we’re
rooting for you!