The Pack is Back: Welcome back, T-wolves

Sondos Elbershawi

TOGETHER AT LAST: ASB and PTSA organize a warm registration day to new and returning T-wolves.

Mihir Kulkarni and Kevin Sohn

While the start to every school year is a momentous occasion, the chance to be fully in-person for the first time since the pandemic is truly unique. With cohorts and breakout rooms in the rearview mirror, let’s take a look at some of the changes happening in a post-quarantine Northwood.

In order to maintain continuity with the rest of the district, Northwood will shift to a standard block schedule along with an all-periods day on Monday. Starting at 9:00 a.m., Mondays will consist of 40-minute periods for each class period. The rest of the week will follow a regular block schedule starting at 8:30 a.m., with odd periods on Tuesday and Thursday and even periods on
Wednesday and Friday.

“The schedule that was developed allows for students to move back and forth from in-person and IVA if desired,” assistant principal Eric Keith said. “It is certainly different from what we have done in the past, but we are willing to try it out
and see how it goes.”

With the entire school present on campus every day of the week, some safety precautions remain in
place to keep students and staff safe. Although no physical distancing is required, masks must be worn in-
doors at school. Masking will not be required outdoors, however, and the California Department of Public Health will decide whether to update mask requirements by Nov. 1.

Despite these COVID-19 restrictions, the chance to be fully in-person has allowed groups from all across campus to resume their
respective activities. Marching band finished their kickoff celebration last week and is ready to blast their hearts out with their new show “Fantasmic.” Sports are also returning back to normal, with California Interscholastic Federation commissioner Rob Wigod announcing that the season is on schedule to begin as originally planned.

“It was disappointing for our season to be delayed last year despite all out preparation,” Varsity Soccer senior Matthew Leguizamo said. “It’s great that we get a normal season after the weird schedule we had.”

Students can finally resume in-person club activities as well, which were heavily restricted by the pandemic. Regular club meetings will once again occur at lunch, or at any time specified by the club handbook found on Northwood’s official website.

“I’m really psyched to be able to travel to places again,” Model United Nations (MUN) publicist and junior Kenneth Rhee said. “Meeting new people during MUN’s travel conferences is probably one of my favorite parts of being in this club.”

From football games to performing arts, the events that make Northwood so special are finally back. So when the time comes, be ready to roar with the rest of the pack.