Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

THE+BEAT+ROLLS+ON%3A+The+Rock+and+Roll+Hall+of+Fame+has+reopened+and+is+currently+offering+virtual+activities.+

Courtesy of Alan Levine

THE BEAT ROLLS ON: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has reopened and is currently offering virtual activities.

Annie Lee, Viewpoint Editor

The 16 artists nominated for the 2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were unveiled on Feb. 10 to honor notable artists with a profound impact in the rock music industry.

Ranging from the legendary band Foo Fighters to the queen of rock and roll Tina Turner, the nominees this year are diverse. Seven are first-time nominees and nine are people of color. Seven women appear on the 2021 ballot, the most female nominees since the creation of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.

“This remarkable ballot reflects the diversity and depth of the artists and music the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame celebrates,” Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Chairman John Sykes said. “These nominees have left an indelible impact on the sonic landscape of the world and influenced countless artists that have followed them.”

While the 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class was inducted in a virtual ceremony, the 2021 event will be in-person at Cleveland’s Rocket Morgage FieldHouse on Oct. 30. Cleveland is also the site of the Rock and Roll Hall Museum, which features an array of memorabilia, films on rock and roll’s history and instrument stations where visitors can create freestyle music. For those who are unable to visit the museum in-person, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame provides weekly virtual events to not only teach the power of music through films and online lectures, but also celebrate heritage months: women’s history month being the highlight of March. Even if rock and roll is not a music genre of interest for students, both the museum and the online events are definitely worth checking out.

Fans have the opportunity to vote for their top five favorite artists on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website until April 20. Artists in the top five selected by the public will receive a “fans’ ballot’” that will count alongside 1,000 ballots from professionals in the music industry. So for hardcore fans of rock and roll, voting is a great opportunity to support the artists you believe are deserving of induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.