Stacking up: Book drive for Northwood library

Coco Tsaur

DRIVING IN NEW GENRES: Northwood head librarian Peter Fatzaun hopes to receive a variety of new books to build the Northwood media center into a library.

Jonathan Kang, Editor-in-Chief

Northwood PTSA worked with head librarian Peter Fatzaun to create the “Pack the Shelves” book drive, designed to update and expand the Northwood library’s collection of books. Over 100 new books have been donated thus far.

The drive, which became open to the public on Feb. 10, is based on parent and student participation, as donors can purchase specific books for the library from a list on the PTSA website.

Donors can also give set amounts of money that will go towards monthly new releases, award winning titles and classics to stock the Northwood library.

“As a new staff member at this school, when talking to other teachers and administrators, one major constant was how there is something for everyone here at Northwood,” Fatzaun said. “Libraries can offer books for students to get lost in and a safe place to study, yet the Northwood library clearly needed vast improvements.”

After analyzing school library and collection statistics, Fatzaun made the PTSA aware of the problem with Northwood’s library. Among other issues, the Northwood library has the fewest number of books available compared to other IUSD schools, with books averaging 27 years of age.

“I want any student on campus to be able to walk into the library and find at least one book they would want to read,” Fatzaun said. “I obviously included high-interest books, but also nonfiction narrative books, graphic novels, classic literature, books on race, LGBTQ books and books on diversity.”

The drive has no specific end date, so students and parents can continue to donate for the foreseeable future.

Although there are only 103 books on the list as of now, the library will continue to expand in both variety and numbers.

“I want to inspire students to try something new and provide opportunities to explore reading beyond the classroom,” Fatzaun said. “Having print books available can help students find some comfort somewhere as an escape to the anxious world we live in right now.”