NHS runs toy drive

Erin Tsai, Staff Writer

Northwood’s toy drive competition, hosted by the club Fostering Hope, donated about 80 toys and board games to foster children for the holidays.

The toy drive, held from Jan. 4-8, was part of a district-wide donation drive involving all five IUSD high schools competing to see which school would get the most donations. Northwood won third place overall.

“Something as simple as donating used toys can mean a lot to someone who isn’t raised in an environment as fortunate as ours in Irvine,” Fostering Hope club co-president Lauren Nguyen said. “It was very rewarding seeing the hard work pay off knowing it was going towards making kids happy.”

Northwood’s Fostering Hope surpassed expectations with their drive, which benefited Seneca Family of Agencies, a charity that provides help and resources for foster kids and their families.

Northwood’s Fostering Hope club has an extended history with Seneca Family of Agencies, as the club was founded by a student who was adopted through the agency. Thus. Northwood’s chapter of Fostering Hope settled on a toy drive after the organization requested the club do so.

“The other schools were asking for smaller items like hand sanitizer and more essential items to donate to their charities of choice,” Fostering Hope club co-president Ella-Blue Wilmot said. “But Northwood did toys and board games. During the holidays these children don’t get much.”

Aiming to educate Northwood students about the foster care system, Fostering Hope plans to hold more drives in the future to benefit the community and raise awareness for foster kids.

“I hope students will take away how big an impact they can have on a child’s life,” Nguyen said. “We hope to do more    drives like this in the future!”