How to tackle 2020: movie edition

Ashley Lee, A&E Editor

When an upcoming school year is around the corner, many students go on a last minute shopping spree, tidy up their rooms for the last time or ponder how to spend those precious last moments of summer. But for those who could use some advice on how to survive this school year, The Howler asked Northwood students from each grade to recommend a film that students should watch to prepare for the 2020-2021 school year.

Incoming Freshmen: Toy Story (PG) (1995)

“From elementary school to middle school, there have been similar faces that you knew; but, in high school, there are new communities, from clubs to world languages. And oftentimes, although it may seem scary going through this transition, you will be able to learn to adapt and experience a community outside of your comfort zone. Toy Story embodies this when encountering new toys. And although the characters are wary of the change, they eventually embrace it and become great friends.” — sophomore Dylan Nelson

Incoming Sophomores: The Breakfast Club (R) (1985)

“It’s a nice movie that shows how every student is unique and experiences things differently. High school is all about new experiences with many ups and downs, and this movie is a classic, which gives a more realistic approach of what high school is really like compared to the other chick-flick movies. After freshman year, you have an idea of what high school is like. So you can relate to some aspects of the movie. But in your sophomore year, you are trying to be better than your freshman self. You are building off of experiences you faced a year prior.” — junior Anjana Narasimhan

Incoming Juniors: Pride and Prejudice (PG) (2005)

“This is one of the biggest books we read in Honors European Literature and it was actually a favorite for a lot of students. The movie does a great job of depicting [the novel]. I think Elizabeth’s drive is also what students should strive for in the junior year. Stay resilient against any setbacks in the midst of the AP classes and standardized testing, but don’t forget to have fun. I think that Elizabeth was independent and and strayed from the norm of women at the time. She didn’t conform to societal pressures, but instead crafted her own path.” — senior Kamryn Scott

Incoming Seniors: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (PG) (1986)
“This film really sets the mood for the senioritis lifestyle. I believe that seniors will be tempted to become complacent about school—especially if classes are mostly online. As seen in the film, skipping classes can be fun, but it can also create some messy situations and unintended consequences. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make the most of the time you have, as Ferris states that ‘Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.’” — Northwood Class of 2020 Matthew Cheung