BosMUN fun

Mihir Kulkarni, News Editor

The Northwood Model United Nations (MUN) team attended the 19th annual Boston MUN conference from Feb. 7-9. The team competed in a variety of formats throughout the conference and came home with several awards.

Senior Carina Lin earned a verbal commendation for representing Spain in the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) committee. Junior Sonia Chacon was also awarded a verbal commendation for her performance in representing Giovanni I Bentivoglio during the Joint-Crisis committee: Bologna.

“It was a really fun experience just to walk around and see Boston and take part in the conference,” sophomore Rahul Khanna said.

MUN is an academic simulation of the United Nations (UN) organization. Students act as UN representatives of a particular country and debate world issues as a committee before drafting resolutions to address these issues.

“I think it was a great opportunity for me to experience a conference as large as Boston MUN,” sophomore Alden Zeng said. “I had a great chance to practice diplomacy and compromise because the resolution groups were so large.”

The conference was also an opportunity to interact with not just peers from Northwood but the entire nation, with over 1,500 delegates in attendance.

“I became good friends with everyone who went from Northwood and even made a lot of friends from the East Coast and places like Mexico,” Khanna said.

With BMUN LXVIII at UC Berkeley just around the corner, the team will continue to prepare and refine their strategies to perform well.