Ways to incorporate exercise into the Northwood lifestyle

Ashley Wang
THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Northwood’s campus is a great place to go for a fun walk.

Throughout the school year, staying active can become more challenging as assignments and tests pile up. However, exercise is proven to be necessary for young bodies, providing both mental and physical benefits through the release of endorphins. Here is a guide on how to integrate exercise into your daily schedule.

Step outside for some fun and fulfillment

While the local cafe meet-up is a classic high school hangout, why not mix things up and take your activities outside? With local gems like the Irvine Spectrum and Fashion Island, you can enjoy the great outdoors in a fun and appealing way. In fact, “mall walking” is a legitimate recreational activity that emphasizes exercise over shopping. Get together a group of friends to try it out.

But there’s more you can do outside that not only brings joy but also supports a great cause. Southern California’s beautiful beaches offer numerous opportunities to get involved in preservation efforts. Many local organizations seek volunteers to help clean up beaches and remove invasive weeds that threaten local wildlife. Joining these initiatives allows you to have a blast with friends while making a positive impact on your community. If you’re interested, look into OC Habitats, Irvine Ranch Conservancy and Don’t Trash California to see where you can volunteer.

As you embark on these outdoor adventures, remember to protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunscreen, bring a hat and stay hydrated to ensure you stay safe while soaking up the sunshine.

Refresh your mind in nature’s classroom

Sitting for hours on end while studying can take a toll on both your body and mind, so it’s crucial to break the monotony with some outdoor activity.

With Irvine’s wide variety of local trails waiting to be explored, you have the perfect excuse to blend study sessions with the outdoors. Whether you’re up for a heart-pumping jog or a peaceful stroll, stepping outside can boost your mood and productivity. (You can also check out The Howler’s recommendations for hiking spots here!)

To make each outdoor visit more meaningful, try to exercise different parts of your brain while exploring. Pack a sketchbook and doodle the scenery, bring a camera and capture nature’s beauty or listen to an audiobook related to your studies while you walk. These little touches can make your break time more enriching and enjoyable while allowing you to express your creativity.

But the key to a truly refreshing break lies in being present. Leave your study worries behind and immerse yourself in the now. By allowing yourself a genuine emotional retreat, you’ll return to your studies not just physically energized, but mentally refreshed and ready to conquer those assignments with newfound vigor. 

Unleash your energy with new sports

With countless exercise activities at your fingertips, you can dive into various options until you discover your perfect fit. The best part? These activities don’t have to break the bank to be fun and fulfilling.

One activity you can get involved in is hot yoga, a form of yoga performed in a hot, humid environment designed to encourage perspiration and heart rate. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned yogi, you’ll find inclusive spaces that welcome everyone, fostering a community of like-minded enthusiasts.

If team sports are more your speed, ultimate frisbee is a fantastic option. Gather your friends and head to a local park for a game that’s all about teamwork and fun. The beauty of ultimate frisbee lies in its simplicity and accessibility—most parks have the equipment you need, making it a low-cost yet engaging way to stay active.

Another exciting option is rock climbing. Whether you choose an indoor climbing gym or an outdoor adventure, rock climbing challenges your body and mind, offering a sense of accomplishment as you conquer each ascent.

Incorporating these activities into your routine isn’t just about physical health. It’s about taking a break from academics and recharging your mental batteries. Embrace the joy of movement, explore new hobbies and discover communities that support your growth.