Icebreakers for a chilly day

Erin Kim, Accent Editor

STATE OF THE STUDENT – In an age where texting, FaceTiming and Discord have overshadowed genuine face-to-face conversation (and no, comparing test scores does not count), these conservation starters may come in handy to feel that much-needed spark of empathy more often. And for those who need a little more convincing, here are some answers from fellow Northwood students!

The Howler: Where have you always wanted to travel to?

Amine Adlouni, 11: I’ve always wanted to go to Greece because it is a truly wonderful country where clear water meets beautiful architecture. It has some of the worlds greatest scuba dive spots, which I’d love to explore, and it’s also rich in history from the Greek and Roman Empires.

TH: What is the strangest food you’ve ever eaten?

Ethan Sloate, 12: I ate the barely cooked large intestine of a chicken while I was in Mexico.

TH: What is your biggest pet peeve?

Ronald Wang, 11: I hate it when people complain about their grades and test scores when they got a decent grade because I’m just sitting there with an 85 and someone is really complaining about a 92.

TH: What do you miss most about being a kid?

Amithi Ravi, 10: I really miss being able to just spend my time without stressing about different things. As I grew up, there were more elements in my life that became important to me, especially because here in Irvine, everyone does so much both in and out of school, and it is so competitive. Sometimes I miss the fact that everything was so simple as a child.

TH: If you had to relive one day for the rest of your life, which day would you choose?

Sarah Hsu, 10: The day my first little sister was born because I became a big sister and everything changed for the better. I was able to care for someone else and have someone who would look up to me.