Guided by Greatness: Shouting out our senior athletes

Neil Godse

Sharice Laygo has really had a big influence on us freshmen and has helped us become the best runners that we can be.  She’s been doing this for four years, so she knows how to calm our nerves before races and handle practices. With this being my first year on this team, both her and the seniors have helped create a more helpful environment, and throughout this year, we’ve been getting to know the seniors outside of running through team hangouts

— Maia Murthy (9), Track

The seniors are really important to lacrosse. They’re always really supportive and even if we’re losing or down by a lot, the seniors always tell us that if we have fun, that’s still a win for us. One of the seniors, Skylar Leung, mainly helps us during practice, and whenever the team is silent before games, she just randomly screams, ‘Guys, we’ve got this, okay?’ and she’s the one who initiates all the yelling before we go out on the field. 

— Alexis Low (10), Lacrosse

Elson Lee and Gavin Lai always bring a positive attitude, never complain and they’re just good role models for everyone else on the team. The seniors help us with almost everything, like at swim meets they always remind people to stay warm, just ensuring that everyone has healthy habits. We have a lot of seniors on the varsity team, so when some of the newer people see the seniors succeeding, it gives them the motivation to succeed as well.

— Nathan Kang (11), Swim